On June 16, 1928 Nat Bailey established
a permanent restaurant in a small
log hut at 67th and Granville, calling
it the White Spot Barbecue
- the first White Spot drive-in.
- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]  
This year is sponsored.
You'll note that this year includes events listed under "Also
in . . ." These are events for which we don't have a specific
date. If YOU know the
specific date of an event shown there, please
notify us . . . and cite the source! Many thanks!
January 1 St. Francis in the Wood church in
Caulfeild, West Vancouver, was consecrated. It was designed by Henry
A. Stone, a local resident, businessman and early benefactor of
the Vancouver Art Gallery.
Also January 1 16-year-old Ivy Granstrom made
her first entry into the chilly waters of English Bay in the Polar
Bear Swim. Ms. Granstrom, blind from birth, will go on to appear
at 77 consecutive Polar Bear events.
January 22 Singer Evan Kemp was born.
January 26 The famous Romanian violinist Georges
Enesco appeared at the Vancouver Theatre. This was an early engagement
sponsored by impresario Lily Laverock.
January 28 Voters in Point Grey and Vancouver
January 31 Artist Gathie Falk was born in
Alexander, Manitoba. She came to Vancouver in 1946.
January The General Gordon School Band was
formed in Kitsilano under the direction of 36-year-old Arthur W.
Delamont, once a Salvation Army trumpet player. Under Delamont,
it became the famous Kitsilano Boys Band. He will lead it for five
January The Women's Institute Hospital for
Crippled Children at 8264 Hudson Street admitted its first patient.
February 8 John Francis Bursill, columnist
and poet, whose pen name was Felix Penne, died in Burnaby aged about
80. He was born in 1848 in London, England. From 1865, he worked
as a Fleet Street journalist. Nearing 60, he came to Vancouver in
1905 to join his eldest son in East Collingwood. In 1911 he founded
the Collingwood Free Library. He became well-known as a Vancouver
Sun columnist in the 1920s under his pen name Felix Penne.
February 27 Future mayor Jack Volrich was
March 1 Capt. W.D. Davey Jones,
the first man appointed to fire the Nine OClock Gun, died
at age 85 . . . appropriately, at 9 p.m.
March 4 The Model 204 (B-1E), a Boeing four-seat
civilian flying boat, made its first flight. Ten were built and
were the last aircraft Boeing built specifically for private ownership
by civilians. Four of the 204s were built by Boeing in Vancouver;
they were called Thunderbirds.
March 19 The Japanese Hall and Japanese School
at 475 Alexander Street was dedicated. Its still there, a
March 22 Future city councillor Bruce Eriksen
March 31 Hockeys Gordie Howe was born.
March Fenwick Fatkin staged a display of daffodils
in the community hall at Bradner, in conjunction with local growers.
Bradner will become known as a floral centre.
April 23 The Norwich City struck the Second
Narrows bridge. It was the 18th major bridge mishap in three years.
Shipping interests took the Burrard Inlet Tunnel and Bridge Company
to court, maintaining the bridge was a hazard to navigation. The
Privy Council found against the bridge company, but the bridge remained.
Also April 23 Henry John Cambie, railway engineer,
died in Vancouver aged 91. He was born October 25, 1836 in Tipperary,
Ire. Cambie came to Canada in 1852, worked for the Grand Trunk Railway
until 1859. He was in charge of CPR surveys from 1876 to 1880. His
survey from Yellowhead Pass to Port Moody set the route to the lower
Fraser. In 1903 he moved to Vancouver, where he retired in 1921.
Cambie Street was named for him.
Also April 23 Agnes Deans Cameron died. Theres
a movie in her life. She was born in Victoria December 20, 1863
and died there at age 64, but spent a good deal of time in Vancouver
and was the citys first woman high school teacher and first
woman principal. (She was once fired for allowing students to use
a ruler during a drawing exam.) But thats not the whole movie.
In her mid-forties she traveled 16,000 kilometres up the Mackenzie
River to the Arctic Circle, and wrote a book about it: The New North:
An Account of a Woman's 1908 Journey Through Canada to the Arctic,
illustrated with photos by her niece and travel companion Jessie
Cameron Brown. It was a smash.
May 7 The 95-foot St. Roch is launched by
Burrard Dry Dock. Built for the RCMP of Douglas fir and Australian
"iron bark" and reinforced to withstand ice pressure,
she was designed as an Arctic supply and patrol vessel.
Also May 7 Actor Bruno Gerussi was born in
Medicine Hat, Alberta.
May 18 A new company, British Columbia Packers
Limited, was incorporated. Among its most famous products is Clover
Leaf salmon, first sold under that name in 1889.
May 25 A 6-cylinder, 125 HP La France pumper
(pictured at right) was placed in service at Number 11 Fire Hall
in Vancouver. Built by La France Fire Engine and Foamite Limited
in Toronto, it weighed 5.5 tons and cost $14,945. It was in service
until December 8, 1966. For many years people walked by it or let
their children play on it at Ceperley Park (Third Beach at Stanley
Park.) Then says the VFDs Rob Jones-Cook, during
the summer of 2004 the Vancouver Park Board hired a group of students
to refurbish it. They have done a wonderful job and it is now assigned
to Stanley Park Fire Department where I am sure many more children
for many more years will have the fun of driving old
Shop No. 77 to fires.
May 31 Australian aviators
Charles Kingsford-Smith and Charles Ulm, along with Americans Harry
Lyon and James Warner, took off from Oakland, California in a plane
dubbed the Southern Cross to make the first flight across the Pacific
Ocean. Kingsford-Smith is cited here because he briefly lived in
Vancouver with his family when he was a young boy. He arrived in
the city in 1905, at the age of eight. A
school in the city has been named in his honor. Its
at 6901 Elliott Street. For a description of the flight, and much
biographical information on him, visit
June 16 In the 1920s, local car owners discovered
the scenic loop through Point Grey along newly-paved Marine Drive
and Granville Street. That inspired a young entrepreneur named Nat
Bailey to sell snack food to motorists off the back of a truck at
Lookout Point on Marine Drive. On June 16, 1928 Bailey established
a permanent restaurant in a small log hut at 67th and Granville,
calling it the White Spot Barbecue. Over the years, it grew into
a large dining room, but a lot of his patrons preferred to eat their
Triple-O burgers in their cars: the first White Spot
drive-in. Read Constance Brissendens 1993 book Triple
O: The White Spot Story.
July 1 Vancouvers longest-serving postmaster,
G. H. Clarke, began his term. He will serve to March 30, 1947, or
18 years, 8 months.
July 18 After twelve years of Liberal
rule, the Province reported, the people decided
it was time for a change. Did they ever! The Tories, under
Simon Fraser Tolmie, 61, took 32 of the provinces 48 seats,
including every seat in Vancouver and Victoria. Tolmie was a veterinarian
who had once been chief inspector of livestock for the Dominion.
He was premier from August 21, 1928 to November 15, 1933.
July 20 On the Provinces front
page: TRIO CONQUERS MYSTERY MOUNTAIN, STRADDLING KNIFE-EDGED PEAK
HIGHER THAN MAN HAS EVER CLIMBED IN B.C. The mystery
mountain was Mount Waddington, and the climbers were Don and Phyllis
Munday of Vancouver and A. R. Munday of Winnipeg. To local mountaineers,
the Mundays need no introduction: beginning in the 1920s and for
decades after they climbed all the major mountains in B.C., and
are credited with discovering the tallest of them all:
Waddington (4,016 metres, the highest mountain entirely within B.C.
and higher than any peak in the Rockies.) The papers headline
was not quite accurate, and the Mundays themselves never claimed
to have conquered the mountain. What they had reached was the second
highest of Waddingtons peaks. Read Don Mundays 1948
book The Unknown Mountain for a thrilling record of
July 26 Cited here because of Boeings
early connection with Vancouver, the dedication of Boeing Field
occurred today in Seattle. King County built the complex after William
Boeing threatened to move his growing company to Los Angeles.
July Gordon Farrell, 38, became president
of the B.C. Telephone Company. His father William had been the companys
August 1 Vancouvers Percy Williams won
a gold medal at the Amsterdam Olympics for the 100-metre dash. Then
he won another for the 200-metre. He is still the only Canadian
to win two gold medals in track and field. And see September 14.
Also August 1 Surrey held its third Annual
Municipal Picnic on Bowen Island. Up to World War Two the municipality
hosted annual picnics for residents. Union Steamship Company boats
were hired and special trains laid on by GNR or BCER, and day trips
taken to Pitt Lake, Bowen Island, Sechelt and even Victoria. Some
500 to 600 people would attend. (After 1946 the influx of new residents
made the picnics impractical.)
August 7 Broadcaster Jim Cox was born.
August 12 Ste. Annes Academy opened.
August 14 The fireboat J H Carlisle, named
for the long-serving fire department chief, was launched with retiring
Chief Carlisle proudly looking on. The boat was put into service
September 1 at No. 16 Station at the south foot of Drake Street.
August 21 Simon Fraser Tolmie, Conservative,
became premier. (He succeeded John MacLean.) Tolmie was premier
of B.C. Aug. 21, 1928 to Nov. 15, 1933. (1867-1937)
August 25 B.C. Airways operated the biggest
airliner in Canada, a Ford Trimotor, between Seattle and Vancouver
starting in early August 1928 from Lulu Island. But it crashed into
Puget Sound on the 25th, while trying to fly under the fog, after
a passenger challenged the pilot for being reluctant to take off.
All seven aboard were killed.
Also August 25 A statue of the famed Scottish
poet Robert Burns (1759-96) was unveiled in Stanley Park. "The
heads of Vancouver Scotsmen were tilted high and their hearts beat
fast . . . when at 2:30 oclock Rt. Hon. Ramsay Macdonald pulled
aside the St. Andrews Cross which draped the monument to Robert
Burns in Stanley Park. As the former premier of Great Britain concluded
a fervent tribute to the genius of Scotlands bard, he pulled
the unveiling cord, and the great crowd, which stretched far along
the causeway, roared its approval." The bronze and granite
statue is an exact replica of one standing in Burns birthplace
in Ayrshire, Scotland. (Local Scots annually mark Robert Burns Day
(January 25), but it was in the 1930s that fervor was particularly
marked. Even the Chinatown Lions' Club organized an annual Burns
dinner, complete with haggis served with a sweet and sour sauce.
Burns is also depicted in a stained-glass window in Lord Strathcona
School on East Pender Street.)
August A private company, the Vancouver Armoury
Association Limited, was formed to raise funds and acquire land
to build an armory. They built the shell of the structure, then
turned it over to the Crown. This complicated procedure made
necessary because Parliament was reluctant to spend money on new
facilities in the aftermath of World War One gave us Bessborough
Armouries at 2025 West 11th. The official opening, however, was
not until March 27, 1934, when the Governor-General, the Earl of
Bessborough, dedicated this structure that was named for him.
August The Rev. J.W. Ogden, an amateur artist
of some skill, wrote a letter to The Province, an angry, impassioned
attack against "the notorious Group of Seven," a collection
of whose paintings had recently arrived from Ottawa.
September 8 According to the Vancouver Star
the first airmail from eastern Canada (Ottawa) arrived in Vancouver
September 14 Olympic gold-medal winner Percy
Williams came home to Vancouver. (See August 1 item). Perhaps
the most remarkable home-coming in the history of British Columbia,
said Premier Simon Tolmie in welcoming Williams home. Thousands
of people jammed Granville Street from the Canadian Pacific Railway
station to Georgia Street to cheer Percy on. The demonstration
affected spectators in the Fairfield Building to such an extent
that they tore up the contents of waste paper baskets, and sent
the fluttering scraps out over the crowds as confetti.
September 17 Its not local, but its
irresistible. A news story out of Alberta: Inspector Hancock
of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, stationed in Alberta, declared
at the Chief Constables Association Convention here [Toronto]
that in his opinion it would be possible for properly trained police
officers to read criminal minds. Speaking of the psychological experiments
of Dr. Maximilian Langsner, Viennese psychologist, in the case of
a recent farm murder in Alberta, when the Austrian savant solved
the mystery of the disposal of the weapon by a process of thought
waves,' Inspector Hancock said: I know from my own personal
experience that this man can read one's mind.
October 1 Businessman Jimmy Pattison was born
October 17 Voters in Vancouver, Point Grey
and South Vancouver okayed amalgamation of the three. The merger
would take effect January 1, 1929. By 1928 the population of the
Lower Mainland outside Vancouver was well over 150,000. More than
80,000 of those people, however, were residents of South Vancouver
and Point Grey. So when newly-elected Mayor W. H. Malkin walked
into his office January 2, 1929 he was the chief executive of a
city that had, overnight, grown in population by more than 50 per
cent to become the third largest in Canada. (There were 12 aldermen,
one for each of 12 oddly-shaped new wards. They ran in arrow-straight
lines north and south, ignoring neighborhoods.)
October 18 Vancouver got its first automated
(i.e., not manually operated by a police officer) traffic light.
It may have been at Main and Hastings Streets, or at Carrall and
Hastings. Were still checking. (Back then Main Street was
called Westminster Avenue.)
October 20 The first talking motion picture
to be shown in Vancouver, Mother Knows Best, opened at the Capitol
Theatre on Granville Street.
November 5 The Princess Royal, a CP steamship,
hit Ballantyne Pier and was damaged. There were no injuries, and
no passengers were aboard.
November 6 Brig.-Gen. Victor W. Odlum was
elected president of the Vancouver Canadian Club at its annual meeting.
A newspaper reference the next day also included this: On
motion of Judge Ellis, the incoming executive was instructed to
make one of its objectives the selection of some plan whereby a
monument would be erected in the city to Captain George Vancouver.
November 11 Regular services commenced at
Canadian Memorial Church in Vancouver. The history of this church
and its stained glass windows is one of the more remarkable stories
of our city. To quote the churchs own web site: The
striking part of the story is the unique manner in which funds were
raised to underwrite the cost of these windows. The goal was to
involve Canadians from coast to coast with the ideal of making this
a truly national church. The story is too detailed (and interesting!)
to be treated briefly here. Especially intriguing is the involvement
by famed contralto and mezzo-soprano Ernestine Schumann-Heink. Visit
the churchs website.
November 20 Artist Toni Onley was born on
the Isle of Man. He came to Canada in 1948.
November 25 An illustrated article in the
Province is headlined Will be the Highest Building
in City. It refers to the Marine Building, but the design
shown is different.
November 29 The North Vancouver section of
the Pacific Great Eastern Railway, opened in 1914 to run between
North Vancouver and Horseshoe Bay, closed. It began losing money
soon after the road to Horseshoe Bay opened in 1926. The line would
later be revived.
November 30 Vancouver Technical School opened.
December 2 Campbell Sweeny died in Vancouver
on his 82nd birthday. Born in Philipsburg, Quebec December 2, 1846
he arrived in the city in 1887 to become manager of the first Bank
of Montreal here, but was also involved in a great many other ways
in the city, especially as a sportsman and, later, sports executive:
cricket, lacrosse, rowing, rugby, tennis and more. His interests
were many. He was one of the original governors of UBC, a president
of the Vancouver Board of Trade, and honorary life president of
the Vancouver Club. He became superintendent of the banks
B.C. branches in 1901, and retired in 1914.
December 4 Vancouver mayor L. D. Taylor blew
a silver whistle to signal the start of construction on the present
December 10 The Province had a column called
Rag Bag. They should bring it back. Heres a sample: The life
insurance agent called upon a big business man at the close of a
busy day. When the agent had been admitted, the big fellow said:
You ought to feel honored, highly honored, young man. Do you
know that today I have refused to see seven insurance agents?
I know, said the agent. I'm them!
December 19 Walter Cameron Nichol, newspaperman
and BCs 12th lieutenant-governor, died in Victoria. He was
born October 15, 1866 in Goderich, Ont. In Toronto he founded Saturday
Night magazine (1887). He moved to Victoria in 1897 and edited the
Province newspaper which he moved to Vancouver in 1898. He bought
the paper and owned it until the 1920s. From 1920 to 1926, Nichol
was the lieutenant-governor of B.C., the only journalist so honored.
December 24 This joke appeared in the Province:
The schoolmaster was also chief of the village fire
Jones, he remarked in school one day,
correct the following sentence. Before any damage could
be done the fire was put out by the village fire brigade.
Yes, sir, replied the boy. The
fire was put out before any damage could be done by the village
December Businessman William Shelly, 48, who
had come to Vancouver from Ontario in 1910 with 12 years' experience
behind him, had organized Canadian Bakeries Ltd. in earlier 1928,
serving all of Western Canada. (The well-known 4X Mills was one
of his companies.) But his investment in Grouse Mountain Highway
and Scenic Resort Ltd. led to financial grief, and in December an
interim receiver was appointed. The news would get worse in 1929.
This was a busy year for Shelly: He was elected to the B.C. legislature
and was finance minister and minister of industry under Premier
Simon F. Tolmie from late 1928 to late 1930, and later president
of the executive councilthe cabinet.
Also in 1928
Bartholomew and Associates, a consultant firm from
St. Louis, Missouri, was commissioned by the City of Vancouver to
prepare a city plan, in effect a blueprint for future development
of the city. "Few cities," Harland Bartholomews
report began, possess such a combination of nearby natural
resources, a splendid harbor, a terrain ideally suited for urban
use, an equable climate, and a setting of great natural beauty.
Bartholomew, wrote city planner Dr. Ann
McAfee in The Greater Vancouver Book, planned for a
city of one million people focused on the great seaport
of Burrard Inlet. The Fraser River banks and False Creek would be
industrial. Businesses would spread evenly over the central business
district to prevent undue traffic congestion. The nearby
West End would provide apartments close to jobs.
The retention of Vancouver as a city of single
family homes, Bartholomew wrote in his 1928 report, "has
always been close to the heart of those engaged in the preparation
of the plan.
Dr. McAfee: West Point Grey was seen as a desirable
residential district and those who gain their livelihood
by manual labor could find in the Hastings Townsite and in a replanned
South Vancouver a place where they can build modest homes.
The Bartholomew Plan was never formally adopted by City Council.
Nevertheless, over the years, much of Bartholomew's vision was realized.
Apartments covered the West End. The post war boom brought new families
to South Vancouver. By the 1970s, well before the City reached Bartholomew's
planned one million people, the 1928 vision became obsolete. What
had changed? The Bartholomew Plan was prepared by professionals
with little input from citizens. Residents now wanted a say in the
future of their neighborhood.
Incidentally, the most prominent legacy of Harland
Bartholomews work is the attractive boulevard on the citys
Cambie Street, south of West King Edward Avenue. One dramatic Bartholomew
suggestion: build twin city halls, flanking Burrard Street at the
north end of the bridge. It never happened. You probably noticed.
The old Hastings Mill, Vancouvers first real
industry, was demolished.
The North Vancouver Hotel burned down.
Vancouvers original airport was a 16-hectare
piece of land south of what is now Alexandra Road leased to the
city. Planning began for a new airport this year, with Sea Island
selected as the site, a decision made by Vancouver Mayor W.H. Malkin
and the Vancouver Board of Trade.
Duff Pattullo became leader of the opposition in
Victoria. For 12 years previously, he had been in government, elected
as a Liberal MLA in 1916 and serving as minister of lands responsible
for forestry. (He would become premier in 1933.)
A hundred cabins are built on Bowen Island by the
Union Steamship Company to promote visits to the island. A handful
This was the last year for the Union Station (housing
the Great Northern and the Canadian Northern Pacific Railway, a
precursor to the CNR) under that name. It will now be known as the
Great Northern Station. It will have that name to 1964.
A railway tunnel, running below West Esplanade Avenue
west of Lonsdale in North Vancouver, was built by the National Harbours
Board. Its 499.8 metres long (1,640 feet), and runs from St.
Andrews Ave. to Chesterfield. Its owned now by B.C. Rail.
Of all the people who have served Port Coquitlam
as members of city council, none come close in longevity to the
astonishing record of Jane Kilmer. She ran for office first
in 1928, wrote Bud Elsie of the Province in 1963, when
she went to city hall with a friend and someone shoved nomination
papers in front of her. She signed them and won. And she has continued
to win every time, except for a two-year spell in 1946-48 when she
lost by three votes. Jane Kilmer, born in Durham, Ontario,
was the first woman elected to PoCo Council (beating Vancouver to
that distinction by nine years), and would be on council with a
couple of breaks for a span of just under 40 years! She is the longest-serving
woman alderman in B.C. history. Her actual terms on council add
up to 34 years, and in all that time she missed only about 10 meetings.
Fishermen staged a strike over salmon prices, idling
more than 1,500 boats.
Crystal Pool was opened. Coloured people
could not use it. That would eventually change.
CFDC changed its name to CKWX, and shared air time
at the 730 frequency with CKCD and CFCQ. CFQC changed its call letters
this year to CKMO.
It was now possible to phone from Horseshoe Bay to
An excerpt from Ivan Ackerys autobiography,
Fifty Years on Theatre Row: 1928 was to be an important year
in my life. N.L. Nathanson, representing Paramount Pictures and
Famous Players Canadian Corporation, arrived in Vancouver for a
big meeting at which he announced that Famous Players was going
to take over the Langer Circuit and that included, eventually, the
big theatre down the street that had opened on November 7, 1927the
New Orpheum. I got a promotion to mark the change. I dont
know whyGod was with me, I guess. All the big shots
sons were promoted to the management of these new theatres we owned
and I was the only little fellow promoted from the ranks.
I had been made doorman at the Capitol earlier in the year, and
now was to manage the newly-acquired Victoria Road Theatre at Victoria
and 43rd at a salary of something in the neighborhood of $25 a week.
Speaking of the Orpheum, an acrobat died there in
1928 after a fall in a vaudeville act. Some say his ghost haunts
the theatre still.
A blizzard of anecdotes swirl around Vancouvers
most-frequently-elected mayor L.D. Taylor, but it would be hard
to beat this 1928 gem: he happened to be aboard the first airplane
flight from Victoria to Vancouver, or, more precisely, from Victoria
to a landing field at Minoru Park in Richmond. The arrival of the
Ford Trimotor attracted the Parks racetrack crowd there as
the plane taxied toward them. Mayor Taylor leaped out of the plane,
and began to stride forward toward the crowd. He was struck by the
planes propeller, still whirling, and suffered a skull fracture.
A few weeks later he was up and about, apparently as good as ever.
Aviation pioneer Don MacLaren, his tongue firmly
in cheek, later commented: It sliced off the top of his head,
you know, and knocked him unconscious. They said if he'd had an
ounce more brains he'd have been a dead man.
Twenty-year-old James Sinclair, future federal cabinet
minister, attended Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar.
Another Rhodes Scholar this year was the future Dr.
Harry Warren, Vancouver mining executive and teacher. He went to
Amsterdam this year to become a member of the Canadian Olympic team
as a sprinter.
Construction began on the second Stock Exchange Building,
architects Townley and Matheson. The building will be completed
The B.C. Electric Co., which started in 1903 and
controlled local electric lighting, streetcar firms and gas companies,
was purchased by Montreal-based Power Corporation.
The Vancouver Regional Construction Assn. was formed.
T.S. Dixon became president of the Vancouver Board
of Trade. (He would repeat in 1935.)
D.W. Reeve became president of the Vancouver Real
The Building and Construction Industries Exchange
of B.C. was founded, largely to clean up unscrupulous bidding practices
in the city.
The Standard Bank of Canada was acquired by the Bank
The USA established a consulate in Vancouver.
Vancouver Terminals Ltd. recommended a long line
of cement docks on the Vancouver shore from Wreck Beach to Jericho.
It is a malodorous mistake, they said, on the
part of pretty town planners that for all time the entire waterfront
must be gummed up and reserved for hot dog and fried onion joints,
and allocated as a pleasaunce of yellow sands for tourists and ladies
in scant attire and the like. WE WANT BUSINESS!
(That word pleasaunce means a pleasant
Russia-born businessman Morris Wosk moved to British
The last of the Fraser River riverboats stopped running,
superseded by vehicular traffic.
Construction was completed on the Japanese Hall and
Japanese School at 475 Alexander Street. Its still there,
a heritage building.
Construction was completed on Tudor Manor at 1311
Beach. Another heritage building.
C.B.K. (Charles Burwell Kerrins) Van Norman, 21,
who will become an influential architect here, came to Vancouver.
A graduate in architecture of the University of Manitoba, Van Norman
was born March 20, 1907 in Meaford, Ont.
Sculptor George Norris was born in Victoria. His
most well-known work is the spectacular Crab fountain at the Vancouver
Silver maple trees were planted along University
Boulevard under the supervision of horticulturalist Frank Buck.
Buck acted as an adviser to what was then the municipality of Point
Grey, and was responsible for landscaping the UBC campus.
The last stand of timber was logged at Green Timbers
Oil production at Ioco grew to 10,000 barrels from
1,000 in 1915.
H. H. C. Torchy Anderson joined the Province
as a reporter. (His bright red hair earned him the nickname.) He
will become editor in 1946.
After shipping knocked out the aerial telephone cable,
a submarine cable was laid to link Vancouver with West Vancouver.
Pitt Meadows got electric light.
The Prairie Hockey League folded. It had started
as the Western Canada Hockey League in 1921, changed its name to
the Western Hockey League in 1926, then later that same year changed
again to the Prairie Hockey League.
The Royal Vancouver Yacht Club's Eight Bells Club
was formed this year for club members seeking a burial at seaactually
just off the RVYC's Point Grey location. Family and friends of the
deceased sail out and pour the ashes into the bay. Afterwards, they
return to the club and have an informal social. Names of the deceased
are engraved on a bell that hangs in the yacht club bar. Eight bell
are traditionally rung at the end of a watch, thus the name.
The UBC Thunderbirds won the provincial football
championship under their coach, Dr. Gordon Burke.
Soccers New Westminster Royalsknown as
the Westminster Royalscaptured the Lower Mainland's first
Golfer Davey (David Lambie) Black, 44, won the first
B.C. Open. He was the pro at Shaughnessy Golf Club from 1920 to
William Carey Ditmars, bridge builder, received Vancouver's
Good Citizen Award.
Japanese residents of Steveston built a Buddhist
Temple. Earlier plans had met with opposition from other residents.
The CPR ferry service from Steveston to Sidney on
Vancouver Island began. Fog, ice, and flood hampered the service.
Harvey Hadden, philanthropist, donated land at Kits
Beach that became Hadden Park.
A Jewish Community Centre opened in Fairview.
Hugh Neil MacCorkindale became the first principal
of the new Point Grey Junior High School.
Alderman J. DeGraves of the street naming committee
recommended to the Town Planning Commission that Union Street be
changed to Adanac, which is Canada spelled backwards.
Josephine A. Dauphinee, a founder in 1922 of the
Vancouver Business and Professional Women's Club, was elected president
for the 1928-29 term.
The Ukrainian Labour-Farm Temple Association, known
for its mandolin orchestra and choir, built a community hall at
805 East Pender at Hawks. Its still there.
Film historian Michael Walsh writes that 1928 was
the year for The Wilderness Patrol, directed by J.P. McGowan. Made
to sidestep British film quota legislation, this quickie silent
Western featured Winnipeg-born screen cowboy Bill Cody riding the
North Vancouver range.
Charles Cleaver Maddams, Mount Pleasant settler,
died in Vancouver aged about 73. In 1888 he bought five acres on
the south shore of False Creek in Mt. Pleasant, and in 1890 built
Maddams Ranch. Because of nearby Chinese farms, he named the area
China Creek. In 1923 he transferred the ranch to the park board
to cover his taxes. The ranch was the pride of the community
in its day. Maddams Street, originally a Mt. Pleasant trail,
was named for him.
Road to Horseshoe Bay.
Rob Morris and Len McCann have written that the Lady
Van, a racing yacht, was built this year by Vancouver Drydock Co.
for "a syndicate of yachtsmen from the Royal Vancouver Yacht
Club to compete for the 1929 Lipton Cup with their Seattle counterparts."
Built to a C.E. Nicholson design, the Lady Van won the cup. She
continued to compete under subsequent owners including Lt.-Gov.
Eric Hamber and was sold to Seattle interests in the 1940s.
- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]