- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]  
  
This year is sponsored.
You'll note that this year includes events listed under Also
in . . . These are events for which we don't have a specific
date. If YOU know the
specific date of an event shown there, please
notify us . . . and cite the source! Many thanks!
January 26 Local Anglicans consecrated the
Reverend T. David Somerville as Coadjutor Bishop to Archbishop Godfrey
Gower. Nearly 5,000 people attended the service in the PNE Agrodome.
January Kenneth Hare stepped down after seven
months as president of UBC and Walter Gage became president again.
Gage had been interim president in 1967-68. This term will last
February 1 The Nine OClock Gun in Stanley
Park was kidnapped by UBC Engineering students, who
returned the 1,500-pound cannon for a ransom which was
given to the Childrens Hospital.
February 23 The first scheduled hovercraft
service in Canada began between Vancouver and Nanaimo. They hover
March 8 Voters in the school districts of
New Westminster, Burnaby, Langley, Coquitlam, Delta, Richmond and
Surrey decided in favor of establishing a regional college, the
seventh in the province. It would be called Douglas College, named
for BCs first governor. See the August entry below.
March 26 Haberdasher and impresario Harry
Mackenzie Hilker died, aged about 89. He was born c. 1880
in Bruce County, Ont., writes Constance Brissenden. With
his son Gordon (John Gordon) Hilker (born September 19, 1913 in
Vancouver; died April 28, 1991 in North Vancouver), he formed Vancouver's
first concert agency, Hilker Attractions. From 1936 to 1950 he imported
more than 1,000 performers including Yehudi Menuhin, Paul Robeson
and Isaac Stern. The company went into bankruptcy September 26,
March 27 UBCs Dr. Leonard Klinck died
in West Vancouver, aged 82. He was the universitys first faculty
member (dean of agriculture), in 1914, and had been president from
1919 to 1944. Leonard Sylvanus Klinck was born January 20, 1877
in Victoria Square, Ont. He was a graduate of the Ontario Agricultural
College in 1903, and of Iowa State College in 1905. He took over
the cereal husbandry department at McGill University. He visited
Vancouver in 1914 to consult with UBC President Wesbrook, ended
up being hired. Aged 37, he was appointed dean of agriculture. After
Wesbrook's sudden and unexpected death in 1919, Klinck became second
president. He supervised UBC's growth from its early Fairview
campus days, the war-delayed move to Point Grey, the controversies
of the 1930s, and the trying times of WWII.
March 29 A nine-year-old boy, Larry Richard
Ehrenholz, survived a 1,200-foot fall down the icy slope of Grouse
Mountain. A friend with him was killed.
March 31 Vancouver was granted its first legal
coat of arms. See this
site for the long, interesting and detailed history
of how this symbol came to be. Longtime City Clerk Ronald Thompson,
during the 1950s and 1960s, had quietly and persistently pushed
council to petition the Crown to have its emblem granted as lawful
The city has had a coat of arms since its beginning,
but until they were approved by the College of Heraldry the arms
werent official. The first design was supplanted in 1903 by
a more attractive and appropriate version by James Blomfield, already
celebrated locally for his work in stained glass. (The next time
you dine at Romanos Macaroni Grill on Davie Street in the
West Endoriginally Gabriola, the 1901 mansion of sugar
magnate B.T. Rogerstake time to admire Blomfields magnificent
stained glass portrayal of the Three Graces. Also Blomfield's work
is the Queen Victoria window in St. Paul's Anglican Church in the
The new arms were based on the 1903 Blomfield design.
Changes included making the central V green, instead
of red. The caduceus of Mercury was replaced by a Kwakiutl totem
pole, one of the most familiar and most dramatic of the art forms
of the West Coast First Nations. The upper part of the shield was
colored gold and this new area is set with two dogwood flowers.
Finally, the word air was added to the motto, acknowledging the
increasing role of air transport in the Citys history. Overall,
the representation of the symbol painted on the Patent showed a
more contemporary styling for the various elements, notably the
fisherman and the logger.
The coat of arms has been widely used. A fine decorative
version, a sculpture by the late Elek Imredy, is displayed in the
Robb Watt, Canadas Chief Herald, described
Vancouvers arms for The Greater Vancouver Book: The
winged rod of Mercury, entwined with snakes (a sign of prosperity),
was replaced by a totem pole of Kwakiutl design that included representations
of the eagle, grizzly bear and halibut. The blue waves on the shield
have been reduced in number, from seven to four, to make room for
the dogwood flowers on a golden background. The dogwood is the provincial
flower of British Columbia and the totem pole is one of the most
recognizable forms of west coast native culture.
The helmet on top of the shield was redesigned
to include a mantle, which resembles a wavy scarf. The oar and tree
branch, which were held by the lumberjack and fisherman in the previous
coat of arms, were omitted but the axe and oar remained.
The word air was added to the motto,
which now reads By sea, land and air we prosper. It
was added to recognize the increasing amount of air travel and transport
that marked Vancouver as a major city on the Pacific Rim.
The coat of arms is not a registered trademark,
although it is registered with the College of Heraldry, and permission
to use it must be obtained from the City of Vancouver.
March A new YWCA building on Burrard opened.
April 16 Albert O. Koch, the Father
of Congregation Beth Israel, died aboard a ship crossing the Mediterranean,
aged 74. He was born May 1, 1894 in Long Island, NY. He came to
Vancouver in 1925 from New York via Montreal and launched the National
Dress Co., Vancouver's first garment manufacturing plant. In 1940
he began Lauries dress store chain. He was a founder and the second
president (1933-34, 1938-51) of Beth Israel Synagogue at 4350 Oak,
and a founder of Beth Israel Cemetery (consecrated July 28, 1946).
He sold Lauries January 31, 1969. On his retirement trip to Israel
with his wife Henrietta, Koch suffered a stroke and died aboard
April 17 James M. McGavin, bakery founder
and executive, died in Vancouver, aged 86. He was born December
28, 1882 in Galston, Scotland. McGavin learned his trade in Scotland,
became the bakery manager of the Darvel Co-operative Society in
Ayreshire. He came to Canada in 1913, joined the J.A. Stinson Co.
of Edmonton, and bought the company in 1914. In 1928 the company
was incorporated as A. and J. McGavin, with his brother Allan McGavin,
Sr. (born c. 1893 in Kilmarnock, Scotland; died August 29, 1955
in Vancouver). James moved to Vancouver in 1924, and was president
of McGavin Bakeries from 1929 to 1947. McGavin built eight plants
in western Canada, and also founded Bee Cee Honey (Vancouver), Peace
River Honey (Dawson Creek) and Barbara Ann Baking (Los Angeles).
A brief note on and a photograph of his handsome Shaughnessy home,
built in 1940, is here.
Also April 17 Marathon Realty, then a subsidiary
of the CPR, and owner of much of the citys waterfront, revealed
its plans for its False Creek development.
April 27 Joachim Foikis, the Town Fool,
spent the last of his Canada Council grant on a party in Gastown
for Skid Road residents.
April Nancy Greene married Al Raine. In the
summer of 1968, Nancys web
site explains, she had served on Prime Minister Trudeau's
Task force on Sport, and assisted the Canadian Ski Team
with fundraising and promotion. This work put her in contact
with Al Raine, the new Program Director of Canada's National Ski
Team. They were married in April 1969 and their twin sons Charley
and Willy were born in Montreal in January 1970.
Also in April Construction began on a new
$8-million campus to serve about 5,000 students at King Edward Centre
of Vancouver Community (City) College.
Also in April A 4.8-km (3-mile) causeway to
the man-made island of Roberts Bank, in Delta, opened to provide
access to a deep-sea port being developed to ship Alberta and BC
coal to Japan.
May 2 Surrey's Municipal Council held a meeting
in the original Town Hall. Since 1881 Surrey's population had grown
from a few hundred to more than 90,000.
June In 1968 the National Harbours Board Police
had been changed from separate port police forces to be unified
into one force. Vancouver was the last port during this re-organization
to be brought into the centralized system. In June, 1969 the security
guard force that had been in place here was replaced by sworn Police
July 20 US astronaut Neil Armstrong walked
on the moon.
July 21 The Vancouver Sun and the Province
both issued special supplements commemorating man's first moonwalk
the previous day.
July 29 Arthur Clarke became the first black
man to become a Vancouver police officer.
August 31 The Vancouver Mounties came to an
end. Only 1,101 fans saw their last game. After 11 seasons and two
second place finishes, the Mounties would find a new home in 1970
in Salt Lake City. For an interesting history of the club, see Bob
Mackins article in the Courier here.
August Early stirrings of what would become
Greenpeace International began in Vancouver. The US announced this
month that they planned a one-megaton nuclear bomb test in October
on Amchitka Island, in Alaskas Aleutian Islands. Bob Hunter,
a columnist with The Vancouver Sun, wrote that such a test
might trigger an earthquake and tsunami. A protest against the test,
organized by Gwen and Derrick Mallard (who had formed SPEC, the
Scientific Pollution and Environmental Control Society, in 1968),
was held at the US consulate general in Vancouver. Attending
this protest, wrote Greenpeace historian Rex Weyler, were
Bob and Zoe Hunter, Irving Stowe, Bob Cummings, Lille dEasum,
Paul Watson, Ben Metcalfe, Rod Marining, Paul and Linda Spong, and
others who would eventually form the core of Greenpeace. For
a detailed chronology of Greenpeaces formation, see Weylers
web site here.
August Douglas Colleges first principal
was appointed. His name was George C. Wootton, dean of divisions
at Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology in North York,
Ontario. Wootton was a graduate of North Vancouver High School and
the University of British Columbia. While earning his doctoral degree
in engineering, Wootton served as president of UBC's graduate student
association. After graduating, he worked for five years at the Canadian
Atomic Energy Commission. He would serve as principal of Douglas
to September 1979. A scholarship has been established in his name,
made available to graduating students in any program who have
shown superior scholastic ability and significant participation
in college or community activities. Wootton was further honored
by Kwantlen University College (which had hived off from Douglas)
when the Board of Governors established the George C. Wootton Award
to recognize outstanding dedication, service and contribution
to the university college system.
September 2 The phenomenon that would become
the Internet was activated. From the web
site: The vital first step in getting a computer
to talk to another computer was taken Sept. 2, 1969, when Kleinrock
and his team succeeded in hooking up their computer to a refrigerator-sized
switch, or router, known as an Interphase Message Processor. So
at that time you had a computer talking to a switch for the very
first time, and without that you could not have computer talking
to computer, Kleinrock said. Although the UCLA conference
honors Sept. 2 as the birthday of the Internet, some people think
the date should be Oct. 20, the first time one computer actually
talked to another.
September 8 Artist Frederick Horsman Varley
died in Toronto, aged 88. He was born January 2, 1881 in Sheffield,
Eng. He attended Sheffield School of Art (1892-1900) and Academie
royale des beaux-arts in Antwerp, Belgium (1900-02). He came to
Canada in 1912. A hometown friend, artist Arthur Lismer, found him
a job in Toronto as a commercial illustrator. Varley was acclaimed
for war paintings commissioned by Canadian War Records. A founder
of the Group of Seven, in May 1920, he taught at the Vancouver School
of Decorative and Applied Arts from 1926. In 1933, with J.W.G. MacDonald,
he began the B.C. College of Arts.
Varley, art reviewer Tony Robertson has
written, had such a powerful influence in the ten years he
lived and worked in Vancouver that few of his students were able
to shake off the dominance of his vision. He loved and painted the
landscape with passionate intensity. His work, striking in its distinctive
use of a luminous emerald green all his own, conveys an intense
feeling for the inner meaning of the landscape.
September 24 The Lougheed Mall opened in Burnaby.
We also have September 25.
September A massive flood in Harvey Creek
severely damaged creekside Lions Bay homes. Writes Lions Bay resident
Max Wyman, A report commissioned by the Improvement District
and Dawson Developments discovered that the primary causes of the
flood were abnormally heavy rainfall, a land slippage that had dammed
the creek and inadequate construction and maintenance of logging
roads. In response to a demand from the Improvement District, all
logging licences in the Harvey Creek basin area were subsequently
October 22 Finning Tractor & Equipment,
started in 1933, was incorporated as a public company. Today, its
known as Finning International Inc. (2004 revenue was just over
$4 billion.) Theres an interesting company history at this
October 29 Violet Alice Dryvynsyde, educator
and author, died in Vancouver, aged 69. She was born November 4,
1899 in Port Fairy, Australia. She came to Vancouver with her family
in 1930. After her husband's death in 1940, she foundedwith
six studentsthe private Athlone School for Boys. By 1969,
the school, at 49th and Arbutus, had 230 students. In 1952, her
novel Provoke the Silent Dust won third prize in a literary
competition sponsored by the Australian government. The novel's
plot involved a pioneering girl who went to Australia determined
to avenge slights on her character by English society by raising
a strong family.
Also October 29 Lester Pearson, prime minister
of Canada from 1963 to 1968, was named an honorary member of the
November 23 Gizeh Temple (the Shriners) had
moved from Victoria to Vancouver in 1942. Today, after much ceremony,
Gizeh Temple Shrine moved into its new headquarters at the present
location. There are approximately 3,500 Shrine members of 45 clubs
in B.C. and Yukon. Ten of those clubs are in the Lower Mainland.
All clubs in British Columbia and the Yukon come under the jurisdiction
of the Gizeh Temple Shrine. The name Gizeh, writes researcher
Barbara Rogers, was chosen in accordance with the Shrine rule
that, every Temple shall select an Arabic or Egyptian name.
It was an appropriate choice; since no other temple had a name beginning
with the letter G, a letter with important significance
in Freemasonry; and Gizeh being one of the most ancient and famous
December 1 Vancouver was awarded an NHL franchise
and history began for the Vancouver Canucks. Their first game would
be October 9, 1970.
December 2 Impresario Lily Laverock died in
Duncan, about 89. She was born in Edinburgh, c. 1880. She came to
Vancouver as a child with her parents. She was the first woman to
graduate in moral philosophy from McGill. She was the first woman
(1908) employed as a general reporter by a Vancouver newspaper (The
World). On October 4, 1909, when the Vancouver branch of the
Canadian Womens Press Club was formed, she was the chief organizer
and the first secretary-treasurer. She moved to the News-Advertiser
in 1910 and became editor of the womens page. Her pen
was ever ready in the cause of women's suffrage. She never
married. Quiet, shy, ethereally attractive, she made her greatest
contribution to local fame when she became an impresario. An avid
arts supporter, she promoted her first Celebrity Concert in 1921.
The world-famous performers she brought to the city in the 1920s
and 1930s make for an eye-popping list: Kreisler, Heifetz, Melba,
Gigli, Casals, Chaliapin, Maurice Ravel at the piano . . . and on
and on. She packed the Denman Arena with acts like the Ballet Russe
de Monte Carlo and Belgian Royal Symphonic Band. WWII ended her
impresario efforts. Today, despite her immense contribution to the
citys cultural life, shes almost totally forgotten.
December 4 An old ladder and pumper truck
that joined the Essondale fire department in 1929 was retired today
after 40 years of service. It was driven into retirement at the
Provincial Museum in Victoria by A. P. Lowry, a former chief, accompanied
by the chief of the time, Stanley Lowrey. Along the old truck's
route on both sides of the water local fire departments provided
escorts. The letters M.H.F.D. on the side of the truck stood for
Mental Health Fire Department.
December 6 The Bloedel Floral Conservatory
opened at Queen Elizabeth Park. They expected about 3,500 people
to visit on opening day, but more than 11,000 showed up. Its
still a great place to visit, especially on a wet, chilly winter
day. Dozens of species of colorful birds fly freely through the
foliage, from tiny, flitting Button Quail and Gold-breasted Waxbills
to the big Moluccan Cockatoo, the Blue and Gold Macaw and Rosie
the Parrot, who can imitate the sound of a cell phone and does a
pretty good cough.
The conservatory was built thanks largely to a $1.25
million donation through the Bloedel Foundation from lumber magnate
Prentice Bloedel and his wife Virginia, and smaller amounts from
the city and provincial governments. Mayor Tom Campbell officiated,
joined by Mr. and Mrs. Bloedel and Bill Livingstone, the Vancouver
parks board assistant superintendent responsible for the main
creative inspiration. This is Canada's largest single-structure
conservatory. Its domed design is based on the geodesic principle,
which utilizes a structural space-frame to support the roof, enabling
a large interior volume to be enclosed without the need for internal
supporting columns. The Conservatory dome consists of 2,324 pieces
of 12.5 cm (5 in.) diameter extruded aluminum tubing and 1,490 triodetic
plexiglass bubbles. The bubbles were designed by Thorson
and Thorson, structural engineers.
More than 300 varieties of tropical plants
are on display, the Suns Lorne Mallin wrote,
from Africa, Mexico, Vietnam, Brazil, Java, Colombia, West
Indies, China, Egypt, Fiji, Arizona, Florida, California and Hawaii.
Supervisor Alex Downie oversees the constant work necessary as the
seasons change (lots of poinsettias at Christmas time, for example)
or as plants grow too tall to fit under the geodesic dome. Today,
some 500 species of jungle and desert plants bloom year round in
the moist heat, a fine home for those tropical birds.
Canadian Pulp and Paper donated $5,000 to build a
wooden pedestrian bridge spanning a 16-metre-high waterfall inside
The Bloedels gift included the striking Henry
Moore bronze sculpture, Knife Edge - Two Piece, seen in the
conservatory plaza. Moore created it in 1962, and authorized three
castings of the work. The first stands on Nelson Rockefeller's New
York estate and the second outside the House of Lords, London, England.
Knife Edge was the first non-commemorative sculpture accepted
by Vancouver's park board.
A life-size bronze family, Photo Session,
by American artist Seward Johnson, is another sculptural feature
at the conservatory.
The fountain and water features atop the reservoir
at Queen Elizabeth Park were designed by landscape architect Bob
Royston of San Francisco, described as father of the post-war
California style, a relaxed, informal approach to landscape.
December 10 The Seafarers Society of
BC was formed. It appears to be no longer extant.
December 19 It was announced that Hugh Llewellyn
Keenleyside, diplomat and executive, had become a Companion of the
Order of Canada, for service at the United Nations and in
public administration. He had just stepped down as co-chair
of B.C. Hydro, and was now Chancellor, Notre Dame.
Also in 1969
Construction began on Pacific Centre, the most ambitious
construction project undertaken in Vancouver up to that time.
Vancouvers Tatlow Park (Point Grey Road at
Third Avenue) was the setting for much of Robert Altmans movie
That Cold Day in the Park, starring Sandy Dennis.
G.P.V. (Philip) and Helen B. Akrigg, British Columbia
historians, produced a marvellously useful book, 1001 British
Columbia Place Names, a fascinating trove of information about
how our cities, lakes, mountains and more got their names. It was
published by Discovery Press, owned and operated by the Akriggs.
They would publish a second, expanded version in 1997. See this
Bob Prittie was elected mayor of Burnaby. He will
serve to 1973. The citys very attractive main public library
was named for him. Tom Hawthorn explains why at this
Jimmy Christmas, mayor of Coquitlam, first elected
in 1945, died in office after almost 25 years as mayor.
Two major tugboat firms, Straits and River Towing,
combined to form RivTow Straits Ltd. Its successor, RivTow Marine,
was bought in 2000 by the Dutch firm Smit International.
Terry Blythe, who would become the chief constable
of the Vancouver Police Department in 1999, and who would serve
three years in that post (to be succeeded in August, 2002 by Jamie
Graham), started with the VPD on foot patrol in the Downtown Eastside
and on Granville Street. Blythe is the son of a retired Vancouver
police officer who served for 32 years.
Barking, Essex-born Norman Ruff became a political
science professor at the University of Victoria. Hes quoted
frequently in B.C. newspapers because of his clear, forthright and
non-partisan views on provincial politics.
Sculptor Alan Chung Hung, 23, came to Vancouver from
Canton, China. In 1973, he would graduate in sculpture at the Vancouver
School of Art. His most well-known work here is the iron Gate
to the Northwest Passage in Vanier Park. He died July 21, 1994
at age 48. More here.
The two bronze lions in front of the office building
at 1155 West Pender have an interesting history. They were commissioned
from sculptor E. Schulte Beecham in 1914, but not installed until
1920. Then in 1962 they were sent to New York to be stored. They
were replaced this year.
Fountain of the Pioneers, in silicone bronze,
was installed at 500 Burrard Street. The sculpture,
writes Elizabeth Godley, thirteen feet high, was designed
by Seattle sculptor George Tsutakawa. In a 1969 Province
interview, the artist said that a fountain involves three elements:
heaven, earth and water. What really makes a fountain is water,
the most elusive and mysterious element of all.
A future opera star, a Spanish tenor named Placido
Domingo, sang in Manon, a Vancouver Opera production. He
had appeared here in 1968 in Tosca.
Judith Forst, born in Fraser Mills, Coquitlam, was
awarded a five-year contract with the Metropolitan Opera Association
of New York. She would become a world-renowned mezzo-soprano.
Theatre Under the Stars (TUTS), which had suspended
operations in 1963, was revived as a semi-professional company.
A pop culture phenomenon appeared at
the Vancouver Playhouse with George Ryga's Grass and Wild Strawberries,
a musical about the hippie culture featuring live music by The Collectors
(who later became nationally famous as Chilliwack). Apparently many
unsatisfied Playhouse subscribers left the theatre at intermission,
their places then being taken by local hippies flocking to the empty
seats to watch the second act.
Vancouver Cablevision (later Rogers Cable) initiated
the Lower Mainland's first community cable channel. Radio man Vic
Waters, along with partners Dave Liddell and Gerry Rose, operated
the service on a shoestring budgetand the attitude was rather
casual. Martin Truax, who joined in 1970, recalls Waters getting
calls from viewers who said they missed a show: Vic would
say, No problem. I'll just run it again for you right now!
1969 was a fruitful year in publication. These first
BC Naturalist Its issued six times a
year by the Federation of British Columbia Naturalists. The magazines
motto today: To know Nature and to keep it worth knowing.
BC Studies A quarterly published by the University
of British Columbia. It focuses on all aspects of human history
in British Columbia (and is a terrific source for this web site).
B.S.D.A. News, produced six times a year by
the Building Supply Dealers Association of British Columbia, New
Hollandse Krant, a monthly publication in
Dutch with news of Dutch speakers in B.C. and The Netherlands.
Journal of Business Administration, published
semi-annually by the Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration,
The Midden, published five times a year by
the Archaeological Society of British Columbia.
Where Vancouver, a monthly publication with
news for tourists and visitors with articles about where to dine
and shop. Found in hotels and tourist information offices.
Drew Burns took over the Commodore Ballroom, which
had opened in December 1929 as the Commodore Cabaret.
Swangard Stadium, named for journalist Erwin Swangard,
opened in Central Park in Burnaby. He had raised nearly $1 million
for its construction. The stadium is the centre for professional
soccer in B.C.
Dorothy Lidstone of North Vancouver won the world
archery championship at Valley Forge, Pa. She beat a field of 40
women from 27 countries with a record 2,361 points, 110 points more
than the previous world record.
The Vancouver Mounties baseball team, which had been
revived for the 1965 season (after folding in 1962) folded for good
at the end of the 1969 season.
Golf Hall of Famer Carol Mann won her fourth straight
tour title when she captured the Canadian Open title at the new
Shaughnessy, the LPGA's first official event in Western Canada.
The Stanley Park Seawall had had 1,200 lineal feet
added in 1968. The work was financed with an annual $70,000 allotment.
This year that money paid for just 350 feet.
Vancouver International Airport announced it could
now handle jumbo jets, Boeing 747s.
The Dinsmore Bridge opened over the Middle Arm of
the Fraser River. This two-lane, $845,000 low-level structure connected
the densely populated part of Richmond to Sea Island and the airport.
It supplemented, and is south of, the preceding Middle Arm bridge,
and has no movable span.
The CNR replaced the old Burrard Inlet and Tunnel
Company bridge across the Second Narrows of Burrard Inlet with a
larger, heavier bridge built onto the reinforced and modified pillars
of the old one. The new bridge had a vertical lift span which is
usually partially raised, allowing free movement of most marine
traffic. The CNR line passes over the CPR at the south end and continues
south through a tunnel to join the CNR main line near Brentwood
The Sisters of Providence, who had been administering
St. Pauls Hospital, appointed a lay administrator and the
medical staff to run the hospital.
The Rotary Foundation was established. It sponsors
a variety of fundraising methods to enable Rotarians to continue
with their admirable record of community service.
The Sapperton Fish and Game Club began, with great
success, to restore salmon stock in the Brunette River, flowing
out of Burnaby Lake. The river had been badly polluted.
W.J. VanDusen, forestry industry executive, retired
from the board of MacMillan Bloedel, aged about 80. He had been
with the firm and its predecessors for 50 years.
The value of annual trading on the Vancouver Stock
Exchange exceeded $1 billion for the first time.
Muni Evers, a pharmacist, was elected mayor of New
Westminster. He would go on to serve seven terms up to and including
Service Corporation International (Canada) Inc. acquired
Forest Lawn Memorial Park and Ocean View Burial Park in Burnaby.
Harold Merilees, most well-known as head of the Vancouver
Tourist Association (precursor to Tourism Vancouver) and founder
of the Sea Festival, was elected as the Social Credit MLA for Vancouver-Burrard.
Freelance art director Frank Palmer and Simmons Advertising's
Rich Simmons form a new company called Trend Advertising. It will
eventually become Palmer Jarvis Communications.
The Crane Story, a 60-page publication chronicling
the life of Charles Crane, appeared. In 1931 Charlie Crane became
the first blind/deaf person to attend a Canadian university when
he was accepted at UBC. The book was written by Laurie Bellefontaine
who used the Crane Centre extensively as a UBC student in the mid-1980s.
See the 1968 chronology
for more detail.
Sometime in the late 1960s Dr. Laurence Peter, a
UBC professor, and Ray Hull, a Vancouver freelance writer, happened
to be standing beside each other in the lobby of the Varsity Theatre
on West 10th Avenue looking at a poster for an upcoming movie. They
began chatting about it casually, but when Peter learned Hull was
a writer he told him of an idea hed had for a book. Hull was
fascinated, and told Peter hed help him write the book. The
Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong came out in 1969
and rocketed to the top of the best seller list. More than 35 years
later we all still know the principle: In any hierarchy, a
person tends to rise to the level of his incompetence. Thus,
every position will eventually be occupied by someone who is not
quite capable of the job.
Maria Lewis, a dancer who had had a notable career
in Montreal and Toronto, formed the Maria Lewis Ballet Ensemble.
For several years her senior students performed under that name.
In 1974/5 the former board of directors of the defunct Ballet Horizons
would approach her and ask her to form a new company to be called
the Pacific Ballet Theatre. See 1975 for more.
Toronto-born (1945) writer Michael Walsh, who would
become a long-time film critic for The Province, came to
B.C. He would write The Canadian Movie Quiz Book in 1979,
and contribute the section on Vancouver-made films for The Greater
Vancouver Book (1997).
In 1969, film production began here in earnest, with
Robert Altman's That Cold Day in the Park. In director Altman's
first Vancouver feature, a lonely, delusional spinster (Sandy Dennis)
picks up a young drifter (Michael Burns) in Kitsilano's Tatlow Park.
Another major production: Robert Rafelson's Five Easy Pieces
with Jack Nicholson and Karen Black.
Other movies made locally this year included (comments
are by Michael Walsh):
Great Coups of History Written and directed
by Ron Darcus, this told the story of a single mom (Delphine Harvey)
who reminisces about a life spent trading on her female charms,
while her teenaged daughter (Janie Cassie) struggles with her own
The Mad Room Directed by Bernard Girard, this
was a remake of 1941's Ladies in Retirement, the story of a lady's
companion (Stella Stevens) whose teenaged siblings are suspects
in the murder of her employer (Shelley Winters).
The Plastic Mile (aka The Finishing Touch
and She's a Woman). Directed by Morrie Ruvinsky. The story
of an unhinged director (Jace Vander Veen) who raped his leading
lady (Pia Shandel) during the making of his magnum opus, this controversial
art movie added new sex scenes to each successive version.
Terry Jacks and The Poppy Family had a smash hit
(it reached #2 in the US) with Which Way You Goin' Billy.
The Vancouver Early Music Society was formed by Jon
Washburn, Ray Nurse, David Skulsky, Hans-Karl Piltz and Cuyler Page.
Its purpose was and is to foster interest in medieval, renaissance,
and baroque music.
Winnipeg-born (1950) writer Terri Wershler (among
her books: The Vancouver Guide, which has sold more than
100,000 copies) came to B.C.
After 11 years the Vancouver International Festival,
debt-ridden, came to an end.
There were significant changes to the Criminal
Code of Canada. Public gaming by the provinces as well as the
federal government was now permitted. Pari-mutuel wagering on horse
races, small lottery schemes for charitable purposes, and limited
gaming at agricultural fairs continued to be allowed.
Another Criminal Code change: homosexuality
was decriminalized in Canada.
The Anglo-British Columbia Packing (ABC), a major
player in the coastal canning industry from 1891, was sold.
John M. Buchanan, who had been elected UBC chancellor
in 1966, retired.
The Ross Street Gurdwara (Sikh temple) was built.
Writes architectural historian Dr. Harold Kalman, This deceptively
simple landmark is the central house of worship for Vancouver's
large Sikh community. A simple white block is capped by a series
of stepped, diagonally interlocked square sections, and crowned
by an open steel onion-shaped dome. The design was influenced by
the formal geometry of Indian religious symbols. The Khalsa Diwan
Society occupies the lower floor. This architectural gem originally
stood unpainted and in isolation, but by 1995 was brightly painted
and crowded by look-alike additions to the east.
A multi-storey extension to the Vancouver Vocational
Institutes downtown building was built.
The book Empires and Nations appeared, containing
essays published in honor of retired UBC history professor Frederick
Soward. He taught there from 1922 to 1966, and was head of the history
department from 1953 to 1963. Fourteen Canadian historians contributed,
and there was a preface by Lester Pearson, a lifelong friend of
The Great Northern Cannery, which had been active
since 1891 near Sandy Cove in West Vancouver, closed. The site was
purchased by the federal government for the Pacific Coast fisheries
Vancouver's Elaine Mighty Mouse Tanner
retired from competitive swimming at age 18, having set five world
records and won three Olympic medals. She is the best woman swimmer
in Canadian history.
A garden shop owner named Bill Vander Zalm became
mayor of Surrey.
The last pick-up of milk cans in Surrey. From now
on milk from dairy farms went by tanker truck.
Delta's second Municipal Hall, built in 1913, became
the Delta Museum and Archives.
Delta got a new coat of arms. The green field,
writes Canadas Chief Herald Rob Watt, represents Deltas
rich farmlands. In the centre, the silver disc represents the sun,
enclosed by the silver triangle, referring to the Greek letter.
The crest is composed of the red and white mural coronet, symbolizing
a Canadian district municipality and the upper half of a silver
ships wheel, for water based commerce. The two silver horses
represent Deltas foundation industry, agriculture, and its
ongoing importance to the community as well as the corporations
strength. Each horse is distinguished by collars and medallions
referring to two industries, grain growing and fishing.
The compartment symbolizes the municipality;
green fields bordered by the sea and the River and includes symbols
for the Fraser and Boundary Bay. The motto, Ours to Preserve by
Hand and Heart, invites citizens to conserve and strengthen Deltas
The coat of arms has been widely used to identify
Deltas property and services. When the new municipal hall
was completed June 5, 1994, computers were used by designers to
create a magnificent one-storey high relief sculpture in concrete
of the coat of arms on the exterior wall of the Council Chamber.
It is easily visible from Highway 10 to motorists en route to the
ferry terminal at Tsawwassen.
1969 Jaguar 420G
- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]