- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]  
  
This year is sponsored.
You'll note that this year includes events listed under Also
in . . . These are events for which we don't have a specific
date. If YOU know the
specific date of an event shown there, please
notify us . . . and cite the source! Many thanks!
January 8 Construction began on the Asian
Centre at UBC. It would not officially open until June 5, 1981.
The Centre has an unusual history: a UBC Religious
Studies Professor, Shotaro Iida, who had gone to Expo 70 in Osaka,
Japan thought the Sanyo Electric Companys pavilion would make
a great Asian Centre for UBC once the fair was over. He asked Sanyo
for the donation of the building, and succeeded! The building was
donated to the people of the province of British Columbia in honor
of B.C.'s Centennial. In addition to the Sanyo Corporation, sponsors
for the Asian Centre included the Canadian and Japanese governments,
business, industry and private individuals, many from Japan.
Since the cost of shipping the entire dismantled
building would have been astronomical, only the supporting beams
and girders were sent. UBC, however, did not know about the shipment
and only learned of it when Canada Customs called saying they had
some white pipes waiting to be picked up! The dismantled
pieces were numbered to make reconstruction easy and efficient.
Unfortunately, the beams were left on the site for a few years while
UBC recruited sponsors for the construction, and when construction
finally started, it was learned that rain had washed the numbers
off! Putting the beams together was rather like trying to solve
a 172-ton jigsaw puzzle.
The Centres distinctive roof shape is inspired
by a traditional Japanese farmhouse. When we get 1981 up on the
site well tell you more!
January 15 The Knight Street Bridge opened.
It replaced the Fraser Street Bridge, 1.6 km to the west, which
would close February 10. Knight Street became a more distinct dividing
point between the western Sunset and eastern Victoria/Fraserview
districts after the building of the bridge in 1974. This is now
one of the busiest stretches of road in the city, with hundreds
of trucks using it daily.
This four-lane concrete bridge, wrote engineer Robert
Harrison, gave medium-level access above Marine Drive to Lulu Island
and both branches of the North Arm of the Fraser at Mitchell Island.
There are six lanes as far south as Mitchell Island, where the deck
narrows to four lanes. With the completion of the east-west Westminster
Highway across Lulu Island, Knight Street Bridge serves Routes 91
and 99 to the south.
Innovations included the extensive use of semi-lightweight
concrete, and electric heating cables in the deck to minimize the
use of de-icing salt in the winter. Construction took 5 years. The
cost, including approaches, was about $15 million.
January 22 Granville Street north of Nelson
closed to automobile traffic for conversion to a pedestrian mall.
It would open August 22.
February 3 M.Y. Williams, professor of geology,
died in Vancouver, aged 90. Merton Yarwood Williams was born near
Bloomfield, Ontario June 21, 1883. With his passing,
UBC says, the university lost one of its original faculty
members and the geology profession lost a pioneer in stratigraphic
and petroleum exploration in western Canada.
M.Y., his affectionate nickname, graduated
from Queen's University at Kingston in 1909 with a B.Sc. degree
in mining engineering. He was granted the Ph.D. degree in 1912 and
that same year joined the regular staff of the Geological Survey.
In 1921 Dr. Williams accepted an appointment as associate professor
of paleontology and stratigraphy at UBC. Together with Dean R.W.
Brock, Dr. S.J. Schofield, and Dr. W.L. Uglow he helped to build
UBCs Department of Geology.
His teaching duties did not prevent M.Y. from continuing
his work with the Survey, taking him to the Mackenzie River, the
Franklin Mountains and the western great plains. In the mid-1920s
he made a geological study of Hong Kong. He worked in the West Cariboo,
West Lillooet Black and the Peace River area and published extensively.
He was elected Fellow of the Geological Society of America in 1916,
followed in 1926 by election to Fellowship in the Royal Society
(of which he became president for 1960/1.)
In 1926, Dr. Williams became full professor of paleontology
and stratigraphy at UBC, and in 1936 was appointed head of the Department
of Geology and Geography. He remained at this post until his retirement
in 1950. He was a kind and understanding teacher and many
of his students owe him not only the grounding in geology, but also
support and encouragement in their later work in the graduate school
and professional life. See this
site for more.
February 10 The Fraser Street Bridge closed.
It had been a low-level highway to Mitchell and Lulu islands since
1893, connecting Fraser Street in Vancouver with No. 5 Road on Lulu
Island in Richmond. There was a connection to Mitchell Island en
route. The 1905 bridge had a small through-truss swing span, on
which the deck was replaced by open steel grating in 1962. Until
it was mechanized in 1948, the bridge was opened by hand. It was
obsolete some years before it was replaced by the Knight Street
Bridge. See the January 15 item above.
March 1 The car insurance provisions of the
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia came into force. From
this date, all motor vehicles in BC were required to have ICBC insurance.
The new corporation got off to a robust start with one million policies.
ICBC is a provincial Crown corporation. Today, it
collects vehicle and driver premiums from more than two million
motorists and invests the money to provide insurance benefits for
its customers and for victims of crashes. ICBC operates on a non-profit,
break-even basis. In 2004 they received 929,000 claimsmore
than 2,500 a day.
Also effective March 1, 1973, all BC drivers were
required to keep their license plates when they bought, sold or
traded their vehicle. (The legislation had been passed November
24, 1973.) Previously, motorists had retained their plates for as
long as they owned a particular vehicleonce a vehicle was
sold, the plates remained with it. Under the new scheme insurance
was to be obtained when plates were purchased or renewed from the
Motor Vehicle Branch, or newly accredited ICBC Autoplan brokers.
March 8 The Dover Arms, Vancouver's first
neighborhood pub, opened in the West End. Legislation had been passed
allowing the establishment of pubs, an astonishing example of common
sense. See this
March 19 Vancouver City Council voted to buy
the Orpheum Theatre at 884 Granville Street, for use as a new concert
hall, after Famous Players had revealed plans to transform the heritage
building into a multiplex cinema. The largest theatre in Canada
(2,780 seats) when it opened as a vaudeville house called the New
Orpheum in 1927 at a cost of $500,000, the Orpheum cost the city
$3.9 million and was then renovated for an additional $3.2 million.
The Orpheum, which hosts various touring shows, is now home to the
Vancouver Symphony Society; the Bach Choir, the Vancouver Chamber
Choir and the B.C. Entertainment Hall of Fame.
March 26 Davey (David Lambie) Black, golfer,
"the Wee Scot," died in Vancouver, aged about 90. He was
born in 1884 in Troon, Ayrshire, Scotland. Black began his career
as an apprentice club maker in Scotland. After working at Outremont
and Rivermeade golf clubs (1905-20), he moved west to become the
golf pro at Shaughnessy Golf Club, a post he would hold for 25 years.
(1920-45). He won four national titles, the first in 1913. In 1928
he won the first B.C. Open. In 1929 he and Duncan Sutherland beat
Walter Hagen and Horton Smith at the Point Grey Golf Club. In 1935,
again with Sutherland, they bested the great Bobbie Jones partnered
with Davey's son, B.C. amateur champion Kenny Black (b. July 23,
1912, Montreal, Que.; d. Nov. 25, 1995, Oakville, Ont.). Davey Black
was inducted into the BC Sports Hall of Fame in 1966, into the Canadian
Golf Hall of Fame in 1972. See BC Sports Hall of Fame website here.
April Vancouver Leisure Magazine was
in dire straits. It had started in 1967 as Dick MacLean's Greater
Vancouver Greeter Guide. MacLean, who was still at the helm,
was fired by owner Agency Press, and new editor Malcolm (Mac) Parry
hired. The first issue under his guidance featured five by-linesall
of them Parry, in various disguises, including golfer/author Driver
T. Niblick. By the second issue, journalist Sean Rossiter had joined
Parry and, for the next two years, they produced most of the magazine's
articles. Today, as Vancouver Magazine, its thriving.
May 3 Vancouvers Aquatic Centre, built
to replace Crystal Pool, was officially opened. Swimmers would start
using it May 6, and the first paying swimmer to use the pool was
18-year-old Jeff Veniot.
May 5 The Vancouver Whitecaps played their
first game. They debuted for a crowd of 18,000 people at Empire
Stadium against the San Jose Earthquakes, losing 2-1 in a shootout.
One of the players was Bobby Lenarduzzi, who had turned 19 four
days earlier. He would become one of the best soccer players Canada
has ever produced, and would eventually appear in more NASL games
than any other player. Born in Vancouver May 1, 1955, Lenarduzzi
started playing for Reading Football Club in England at age 16,
eventually appearing in 67 Football League games and scoring 2 goals.
He made his International debut for Canada against Poland in Toronto
in 1973. See a good history of the club here www.bcsoccer.net
(click on search, then enter whitecaps history)
and a profile of Lenarduzzi here.
June 21 BC Rails Royal Hudson steam
train made its inaugural run to Squamish. The big, beautiful locomotive
was an instant hit with locals and tourists alike.
July 14 Jack (John Edward) Underhill, badminton
athlete, died in Vancouver, aged 71. He was born September 3, 1902
in Vancouver. He was Canada's top male badminton star from 1925
to 1947, winning numerous B.C. and national championships. His wife
Eileen (1889-1988) was a womans champion. The Underhills were
the first husband-and-wife team in the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame
(1970). An annual Jack Underhill Badminton Tournament is held at
the Vancouver Racquets Club.
July 21 Chung Hung, sculptor, died in Vancouver,
aged just 48. He was born February 8, 1946 in Canton, China. He
studied civic engineering in Hong Kong before immigrating to Canada
in 1969. In 1973 Chung graduated in sculpture at Vancouver School
of Art. He specialized in monumental public steel sculptures, including
Gate to the North-West Passage (in Vanier Park) and Steam
Columns (at 938 Howe). He was co-creator of Goddess of Democracy
(installed in 1991 at UBC). He has permanent sculptures in Canada,
Hong Kong and Spain. Chung received the Dal Grauer Memorial Award
in 1974, and won many competition-awarded sculptures and commissions.
He promoted awareness of Chinese artists in Vancouver.
July Simma Holt, a well-known Vancouver
Sun reporter and author, was elected member for Vancouver-Kingsway,
becoming the first Jewish woman to serve in the Canadian parliament.
August 22 The Granville Street Mall opened.
August 24 The Grand Lodge of British Columbia
(Freemasons), established in 1871, officially opened at its present
location, 1495 West 8th Avenue. It serves as a kind of administrative
body for the other Lodges in British Columbia and rents meeting
space to about 25 of them.
September 1 Pauline Jewett, 51, became president
of Simon Fraser University, the first female president of a major
Canadian university. She would hold that post until October 9, 1978.
During her tenure women's studies, a seniors program, distance education
into B.C.'s interior, and an innovative child-care centre were established.
For an interesting glimpse into her style, go to
site and read Remembering Pauline Jewett,
by Meredith Kimball, Professor Emerita, Women's Studies and Psychology,
comments made by Professor Kimball at a memorial service held on
campus shortly after Dr. Jewetts death July 5, 1992.
September 30 Canadian Pacific ended its ferry
service to Seattle.
October 16 Hockeys Paul Kariya was born
Also October 16 Official opening of the St.
Roch National Historic Site. It was 30 years to the day after its
return from its historic voyage through the Northwest Passage, and
some of the former crew were on hand for the ceremonies. An RCMP
vessel, the St. Roch became the centrepiece of a major display
in its own building beside Vancouvers Maritime Museum. The
ship is unique because she was the first ship to traverse the Northwest
Passage in both directions, and the first ship to circumnavigate
October 29 The Seaspan Commodore was
registered. She was built at Vancouver Shipyards. The 142-foot (40.4
m), 5750-bhp deep sea tug, with a speed of 14.5 knots, became the
flagship of the North Vancouver-based Seaspan International fleet.
The Commodore tows the Seaspan Forester, the world's
largest log barge and barges of lumber, salt, gravel and clinker
between Vancouver and Californian, Mexican and Alaskan ports.
November 12 Arbutus Village Square opened
in Vancouver. Construction had started in 1972. The 30-acre, $20
million complex at 4255 Arbutus, built by Marathon Realty, included
450 housing units, a park and a 30-store shopping centre. The project
had a rocky beginning, with its neighbours almost exactly evenly
divided over whether they wanted it or not.
November 30 Last movie at the Capitol Theatre
before its renovation as a multiplex.
November Harbour Publishing produced a book
titled Raincoast Chronicles First Five, a collection of the
first issues of the magazine Raincoast Chronicles. It was
December Vancouver began a program of designating
Heritage Buildings. These were structures that, for
various reasons (historical, architectural, aesthetic), were protected
from demolition or exterior change.
The first 20 buildings so designated, with their
location and year of construction , were:
- Hastings Mill Store (1865) 1575 Alma
- Christ Church Cathedral (1889-95) 690 Burrard
- St. James Church (1935-37) 303 East Cordova
- CPR Station (1912-14) 601 West Cordova
- Gabriola (1901) 1531 Davie
- National Harbours Board (1905) 50 Dunlevy
- Court House (1906-13) 800 West Georgia
- Orpheum Theatre (1927) 884 Granville
- Shannon (1912-13) 7255 Granville
- Bank of Commerce (1906-08) 640-698 West Hastings
- Old Post Office Building (1905-10) 757 West Hastings
- Credit Foncier Building (1913-14) 850 West Hastings
- Hycroft (1909) 1489 McRae
- Heritage Hall (1914) 3102 Main
- Glen Brae (1910) 1690 Matthews
- St. Andrew's Wesley Church (1931-33) 1012 Nelson
- Sun Tower (1912) 100 West Pender
- Holy Rosary Cathedral (1899-1900) 646 Richards
- Aberthau (1909) 4397 West 2nd
- Hudson Bay Co. Store (1913 & 1926) 640 Granville
Also in 1974
Jack Blaney began at Simon Fraser University as Dean
of Education. Blaney began teaching at a secondary school in Osoyoos
in 1960. He was appointed director of the study discussion program
in liberal arts at UBCs extension department in 1962. By 1974
he was associate director of the universitys Centre for Continuing
Education. In 1997 he will become president of Simon Fraser University.
Later he will help to establish both the downtown Harbour Centre
campus and the Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue.
Vicki Gabereau, latterly a Vancouver TV talk show
personality, ran for mayor of Toronto as a character named Rosie
Popular Steve Woodman, the man of 1,000 voices,
was badly injured when, driving home after appearing on a telethon,
his car hit black ice, went over an embankment and rolled out of
control. He sustained severe head injuries, was in a coma for a
long time, and did not regain his voice. The accident ended an outstanding
career in which his voice skills had been called on often. He eventually
emerged from the coma, was even able to play a bit of golf, but
he never worked again. He died in his sleep March 13, 1990.
CKNW Radios Norm Grohmann joined the cast of
CBC Radios Dr. Bundolo's Pandemonium Medicine Show,
replacing Steve Woodman. Other cast members at this time included
Marla Gropper, Bill Buck and Bill Reiter. Bundolo was produced
by Don Kowalchuk, written by Jeffrey Groberman and Dan Thatchuk
(now Colin Yardley) and ran from 1972 to 1980.
Will Senger took over as chairman of the Cloverdale
Rodeo and helped orchestrate a 10-year turnaround. In 1983 the Cloverdale
Rodeo would attract more contestants than the Calgary Stampede and
pack 20,000 spectators into the arena. Will Senger is still with
the association as the Arena Manager.
Perry Goldsmith began Contemporary Communications
Ltd., one subsidiary of which is a personal management division,
another the National
Speakers Bureau. NSB gets celebrated people to talk
to groups of all kinds. Goldsmithborn September 22, 1947 in
Vancouverhas a lot of high profile people in his stable, like
Nancy Greene Raine, Olympic gold medalist Mark Tewksbury, CBC National
Magazine contributor Rex Murphy, futurist Frank Ogden, newsman Kevin
Newman and more than 100 others. When I started in this business,
he says, the demand for Canadian speakers was limited, now
our clients have a strong interest in hearing Canadian perspectives.
Australia-born (September 29, 1930) Richard Bonynge
(bonning) took over from Irving Guttman as artistic director
of Vancouver Opera. Some of the operas he would conduct from now
until 1978 would feature his wife, the great soprano Joan Sutherland,
La Stupenda. (Born November 7, 1926 in Sydney, Australia.
See a good brief bio of her here)
The Bonynge years1974 to 1978began with great
promise, Ray Chatelin wrote in The Greater Vancouver Book,
and ended with the last half of the 1977-78 season being cancelled
because of mounting debt. Bonynge, though often mired in controversy
about finances and programming, changed the direction of the company.
He created his own orchestra and established a resident training
program, both of which are foundations of the current operation.
He was succeeded by Hamilton McClymont, formerly of the Canada Council,
whose primary objective was to bring the operation back into financial
A huge rock attraction was born when Bachman Turner
Overdrive, managed by Bruce Allen, exploded out of Vancouver. Their
first LP had been released May 17, 1973, but it was the 1974 release
of Not Fragile that made them internationally known. Their
biggest hit single, Takin Care of Business, is still
being heard more than 30 years after it was released. See this
site for a brief bio and discography.
Advertising agency Griffiths Gibson Ramsay Productions
and Western International Broadcasting Co. invested $500,000 to
open Little Mountain Studio. Among the celebrated groups that recorded
there before the studios demise in 1994: Aerosmith, Bon Jovi
Mushroom Records was founded by brothers Wink and
Dick Vogel. An early Mushroom LP. Dreamboat Annie by Heart,
sold four million copies. The label would declare bankruptcy in
1980, a year after the death of its vice-president and creative
sparkplug, Shelly Siegel.
The Douglas Recreation Centre was built in Langley.
It contained a gymnasium, multipurpose room, preschool room and
games room, etc.
A young Vancouver lawyer and alderman, Michael Harcourt,
criticized Vancouver police for their Eliot Ness-style raids
on gay bars and bathhouses
The Red Book first appeared. This was an initiative
of the Community Information Service (known today as Information
Services Vancouver), and had actually begun back in 1957, when they
realized their comprehensive card catalogue of community services
in the Lower Mainland would be useful to many other agencies and
services. They began to publish it every two years. This year the
directory was published in a red, three-ring binder and thus was
born The Red Book. In 1977 it would begin to be published
annually because of rapid changes in the information. (70 per cent
of the listings change each year.) In June 1996 a computerized version
would begin. It is used by doctors, lawyers, educators, clergy,
human resources staff, emergency services workers and others. More
than 5,000 social, community and government agencies and services
are in the data base.
site says calls have been increasing annually,
and in 2004-2005 we responded to 60,173 enquiries, our highest number
of calls everand almost 10,000 more calls than we received
British Columbia became a partner with the other
three Western Provinces in the creation of the Western Canada Lottery
Foundation. A Lottery Act was passed by our legislature creating
an agency for the operation and oversight of provincially conducted
and managed lotteries. Included was responsibility for licensing
and regulating charitable and religious gaming activity.
Poet Pat Lowther was elected co-chair of the League
of Canadian Poets and appointed to the B.C. Arts Council.
Poet Peter Trower (once known as BCs voice
from the bunkhouse), who had worked for 22 years as a logger,
produced Between the Sky and the Splinters, a collection
of his poems to that point. A 1976 film about him by CBC was given
the same title. For a fine interview with Trower by BC Bookworlds
Alan Twigg, go to www.abcbookworld.com
and click on Trower.
Richard V. Whitesides The Surrey Pioneers
was published by Evergreen Press.
Alan Morleys fine history of the city, Vancouver:
From Milltown to Metropolis, originally published in 1961, appeared
in a third edition.
Raymond Hull and publisher Gordon Soules and his
wife Christine collaborated on an extensive sociological and
economic study titled Vancouver's Past. See this
Dick Culberts book Alpine Guide to Southwestern
British Columbia was published.
Chief Dan Georges book My Hearts Soars
Fort Langley lawyer John Cherrington produced his
first book Mission On The Fraser.
A slim collection of five stories from Scott Watson,
Five book publishers cooperated to found the Association
of Book Publishers of B.C. In 2005, out of more than 50 members,
18 based in the Greater Vancouver area cover every type of book
publishing including literary, poetry, educational, scholarly and
a full range of trade books. See this
Several publications debuted in 1974. They include:
Canadian Journal of Botany Revue Canadienne
de Botanique A monthly bilingual academic journal on research
in botany, published under the auspices of the National Research
Council Research Journals.
Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering Revue
Canadienne de Genie Civil A bimonthly bilingual academic journal
on research in research in civil engineering, published under the
auspices of the National Research Council Research Journals.
Canadian Journal of Communication A quarterly,
issued by Communications, Harbour Centre, Simon Fraser University.
It was an academic journal on communications and telecommunications.
East Side Revue, a community bi-weekly, distributed
free to households in the area, and free at various drop points
Westbridge Art Market Report: The Newsletter for
Fine Art Collectors and Investors, a bi-monthly from Westbridge
Vancouver Taped Books began. It was a project funded
by a federal Local Initiatives Project grant. Now named Audiobooks,
another 250 or so titles are added each year to the more than 5,000
released so far. The Library Services Branch signed an agreement
in the later 1990s with the Canadian Copyright Licensing Agency
to record work by well-known Canadian authors including Alice Munro,
Margaret Atwood, Robertson Davies and Bill Richardson. Nearly 6,000
people throughout British Columbia use the service yearly.
Well-known garden expert David Tarrant became Education
Coordinator at UBC's Botanical Garden.
Dr. David Suzuki began as host of CBC-TVs The
Nature of Things. Hes still doing it!
The movie The Wolfpen Principle was released.
Written and directed by Jack Darcus, the film tells the story of
a holocaust survivor (Vladimir Valenta) who joins a young Coast
Salish mystic (Laurence Brown) in a plot to free the wolves in the
Stanley Park zoo. Michael Walsh, movie historian, says of the director:
Vancouver's ranking auteur, Jack Winston Darcus (born
Feb. 22, 1941) has created a distinctive body of work in his own
home town. A successful painter as well as a film-maker, Darcus
has written and directed six feature dramas that reflect his personal
vision as a B.C.-born artist. In each, he creates complex and allegorical
social relationships that illuminate moments in the maturation of
the Canadian West Coast experience.
Byron Blacks movie The Holy Assassin
was released.. Adding a science-fictional twist to his visual
experimentation, Michael Walsh wrote, director Black's
second feature involves a metaphysical criminal from another dimension
hiding out in a local hippie commune.
And, of director Paul Krasnys film Christina,
Walsh wrote: Planning to make his home here, producer Trevor
(Groundstar Conspiracy) Wallace found backers for this mystery romance,
a vehicle for Vancouver-born actress Barbara Parkins.
A big untitled metal sculpture by George Norris (whose
more famous Crab fountain is a visual highlight in front of the
Vancouver Museum) was erected in front of the Vancouver Eaton's
store at Granville and Georgia. In a 1981 guide book, Terry Noble
described the piece as a majestic, glistening, glinting dragonfly,
bowing gracefully to all who pass. It would be removed in
1987 and is currently stored in Surrey's works yard.
The BC Cancer Institute changed its name to the Cancer
Control Agency of BC.
The Workmens Compensation Board became the
Workers Compensation Board.
Johnny Carson came to Vancouver to plug his new restaurant
chain, Heres Johnny! He had a long lunch with Red Robinson.
Harold Scanlon Foley, forestry executive, died in
Vancouver, aged about 74. He was the head of his familys Powell
River Company (est. 1905), and oversaw its merger with MacMillan
Bloedel in 1959. The pulp mill PRC established at Powell River was,
for a time, the largest in the world. Among other firsts, the company
created BCs first medical plan. Foley was respected both by
executives and by workers and their unions. His co-chairmanship
at MacMillan Bloedel was overshadowed by his more volatile co-chairman,
J.V. Clyne. Foleynicknamed the Silver Foxwas a significant
(and often anonymous) philanthropist. He was both an elegant
and cultured member of Vancouver society.
ISE (International Submarine Engineering) of Port
Coquitlam began in Port Moody as McIlhenny Offshore Surveying and
Engineering. In 1976 its founder and president James McFarlane will
change the name. They design and build robotic submersibles. (McFarlane
had been in the Canadian Navy for 18 years, engaged in building
manned submersibles. After leaving the navy he had a notion to build
a revolutionary tethered vehicle . . . but discovered
when he started that eight or nine companies were already doing
it. So he began to concentrate on remotely operated vehicles.)
McFarlane started with two people. He employs 110
today, and annual revenue is about $10 million.
Minneapolis entrepreneur Tom Scallen, owner of the
Vancouver Canucks since 1970, found himself in financial and legal
trouble, and sold the team for $9 million to Frank Griffith's Vancouver
based telecommunications company, Western Broadcasting.
The Jericho Sailing Centre began operating at Jericho
Beach. Its a non-profit, self-supporting association, under
the aegis of the city Parks Board. They call themselves Vancouvers
Ocean Access Community Centre. Completely land-based, the
centre has 3,000 members, 13 affiliated clubs, four schools, and
is a site for thousands of launchings of kayaks, canoes, sailboards
and sailboats. A unique affiliate is the Disabled Sailing Association
whose members take to the water in specially modified boats. See
The original, bellows-operated diaphone foghorn at
the Point Atkinson Lighthouse was replaced by diesel-powered airchimes,
the sound of which carried five to ten miles. It came to be called
Old Wahoo, and there would be unhappiness in 1996 when
it was in turn replaced by a solar-powered electronic signal rated
for two mileslike replacing an oboe with a penny whistle,
said one old salt.
BC Rail refurbished its famous 2860 steam engine,
known as the Royal Hudson, and placed it in excursion service between
North Vancouver and Squamish. Each summer, from mid-May through
mid-September, the Royal Hudson hauled 1940s-style passenger coaches,
baggage cars and a dining car through some of the most picturesque
mountain and ocean scenery in Canada. This popular, historic excursion
was enjoyed by as many as 70,000 passengers each season and became
a feature of British Columbia's booming tourism industry. Unfortunately,
because of cutbacks at BC Rail, and maintenance required on the
locomotive, the excursions have come to an end. A campaign by rail
enthusiasts was underway in 2005 to raise the necessary funds. (The
reason for the Royal Hudson name: in 1939, when King
George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, were touring Canada,
the King was so impressed with the huge and handsome locomotives
used to haul their train that when the CPRthe original ownersasked
if he would agree to their affixing the Royal prefix
to the railways Hudson locomotives he happily agreed.)
Pacific Princess, famous as TVs Love
Boat, and her sistership Island Princess began sailing
out of Vancouvers harbor in the Alaska cruise trade. They
would carry on in that trade until 1991. They starred
in the series, which ran on ABC-TV from 1977 to 1986. The 20,000-ton
vessels, owned by P&O's Princess Cruises, were built in Germany.
In May, 1985 the series began using the 45,000-ton
Royal Princess of the English Princess Cruise Lines as the
regular ship on the series.
Construction began on Robson Square in the 800 block
Robson Street. Architectural historian Harold Kalman has written:
This extensive complex combines the glass-roofed Law Courts,
defined by the distinctive bold shape of its steel space frame,
with landscaped public spaces (Cornelia Hahn Oberlander and Raoul
Robillard, landscape architects) that invite public activity on
several levels, inside and out. The rightist Social Credit provincial
government of the early 1970s was determined to build an aggressive
55-storey office tower here. The New Democratic Party government
that won the 1973 election dismissed the proposed big-business image
by changing architects and architectural programmes, laying the
tower on its side, and producing a low, multi-block courthouse that
is symbolically and physically more accessibleso accessible
that we can walk on it! All this shows how architecture can provide
a powerful political symbol.
The North Vancouver Civic Centre, at 121 West 14th
Street, opened. The Centre housed the citys municipal hall
and library. Designer was Barry Downs of Downs Archambault. Most
of the site, writes Harold Kalman, is given over to
park space, leaving the buildings so understatedperhaps a
reflection of the talented architect's modestythat some visitors
have trouble finding them.
The handsome old terra cotta Birks Building, at the
southeast corner of Granville and Georgia since 1912, was demolished.
This generated the most anger and sadness for a lost building since
the 1967 demolition of the Pantages Theatre at 20 West Hastings
The Bentall III office building at 595 Burrard was
built. With 32 storeys, it stands 122 metres high.
The Burnaby Civic Employees Union Memorial Fountain,
designed by William Williamson and erected in 1923 to honor union
members killed in the First World War, was moved from its original
location (on Kingsway near Edmonds at the old Municipal Hall) to
Burnaby Village Museum at 6501 Deer Lake Avenue.
John R. Fisk ended his term as Vancouvers Chief
Constable (he had begun in 1968) and was succeeded by Donald R.
Winterton, who would serve as the citys top cop to 1981.
The Reverend Stanley Higgs retired at 70. The career
of this remarkable gentleman will be covered in more detail when
we get 1983 up. Stan died April 16, 1983 in Vancouver. For an excerpt
from Strange Harvest, a famous poem he wrote during the Second
World War, see our 1944 chronology.
Mary Pack, arthritis campaigner, 69, was awarded
the Order of Canada. The angel of mobility had devoted
her life to arthritis and rheumatism care and research. To quote
site: Mary Pack was a visionary whose dream of
a world without arthritis led her to found The Arthritis Society.
A home-schooling teacher who counted among her students children
who were bedridden because of the devastating effects of arthritis,
Mary Pack determined to make their lives better. It became a life-long
passion, one to which she dedicated her considerable energy and
intelligence until her death in 1992 at the age of 87.
Violet Pooley Sweeny, golfer, was inducted posthumously
into the BC Sports Hall of Fame. See her obituary in the 1965
chronology for more.
The Greater Vancouver Housing Corporation was incorporated.
Their web site says:
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of the GVRD, the
Greater Vancouver Housing Corporation (GVHC) functions as a non-profit
organization, managing more than 3,600 rental units and providing
affordable housing for a mix of income levels.
GVHC owns and operates housing sites around the Lower Mainland,
providing housing for more than 10,000 people, at rental rates that
are below average for the types of units provided.
CLIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
The GVHC is a non-profit organization established to provide affordable
housing for low-, moderate- and middle-income households. In order
to perform this role, rental assistance programs are offered to
The Childrens Hospital opened a Care
by Parent unit.
Greek Day, an annual celebration by Vancouvers
Greek community began. It would happenlargely centered on
West Broadway between MacDonald and Waterlooevery year until
1988, when it would be replaced by two smaller events, a Greek Summer
Festival at St. Nicholas-Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church on Boundary
Road in East Vancouver and a similar event at the Hellenic Community
Centre in Kerrisdale.
The Charles Crane Memorial Library is one of a kind
in Canada. Since 1970 the library and its dedicated volunteers have
recorded talking textbooks and background materials. A special disbursement
was established in 1974 as a continuous funding base for the library,
staff, book budgets and raw materials.
NITEP (the Native Indian Teacher Education Program)
began at UBC in 1974. Seven students graduated in 1985 and the program
admitted its first Masters students in 1986. To quote their web
site: NITEP is a UBC Bachelor of Education Program
(Elementary or Secondary) guided by an advisory council of Aboriginal
educators and community members, UBC faculty, a coordinator representative,
a BCTF representative, and NITEP students. NITEP builds upon Aboriginal
identity and cultural heritage while preparing and challenging persons
of Aboriginal ancestry to be effective educators for public, band
and independent schools in BC.
Vancouver City College became Vancouver Community
College when it separated from the Vancouver School Board in 1974.
B.C. Ferries bought a ferry for $13.8 million and
named it the Queen of Surrey. She would be retired after
just two years, but then put on the Queen Charlotte run in 1980.
More than $10 million was spent refurbishing her to serve as the
Queen of the North. Under that name, the shipwith 99
passengers and crew aboardwould sink after hitting a rock
about 135 kilometres south of Prince Rupert on March 22, 2006. Two
passengers lost their lives. All other passengers and crew were
1974 Bricklin SV1 (made in Saint John, NB)
- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]