- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]  
This year is sponsored.
You'll note that this year includes events listed under Also
in . . . These are events for which we don't have a specific
date. If YOU know the
specific date of an event shown there, please
notify us . . . and cite the source! Many thanks!
January 1 Cloverdale Raceway opened, quickly
became one of the premier harness racing centres in North America.
In 1996, it would undergo about $3 million in renovations and be
renamed Fraser Downs. See this
site for an interesting story about Jim Keeling, Sr.,
who began the raceway.
January 2 The Social Credit government ordered
that auto insurance rates in BC be increased by as much as three
times current rates, starting March 1. ICBC chief Pat McGeer told
motorists that, if they couldnt afford the new rates, they
should sell their cars. That warm, sympathetic advice prompted the
overnight appearance of bumper stickers everywhere reading Stick
it in Your Ear, McGeer.
January 18 John Arthur Clark, lawyer and soldier,
died in Vancouver, aged 89. He was born, writes Constance
Brissenden, June 8, 1886 in Dundas, Ont. He graduated from
U. of T. (BA, 1906; Bachelor of Law, 1909; Osgoode Hall, 1909).
He joined the 77th Volunteer Regiment in Dundas, served from 1903
to 1909. In 1910 he was appointed captain in the Seaforth Highlanders
of Canada. In 1911 Clark came to Vancouver, and began the law firm
of Lennie & Clark (1911-29). During the Second World War, he
commanded Vancouver's 72nd Battalion; then the 7th Canadian Infantry
Brigade, fighting at all major battles, and reaching the rank of
brigadier. Wounded once, he was awarded the CMG and DSO with two
bars. Clark was Progressive Conservative MP for Vancouver-Burrard
from 1921 to 1926.
February 9 Prime Minister Trudeau officially
commissioned the TRIUMF (Tri-University Meson Facility) nuclear
accelerator at the University of British Columbia. Check the 1972
Chronology for more detail on this important facility,
in the forefront of, among many other things, medical research.
Also February 9 H.R. MacMillan, lumber magnate,
died in Vancouver, aged 90. Harvey Reginald MacMillan was born September
9, 1885 in Newmarket, Ont. He attended Ontario Agricultural College
and Yale Forestry School. In 1908 he was hired as assistant inspector,
Western Canada forest reserves, but had to spend two years in a
TB sanatorium. In 1912 he was named chief B.C. forester. During
WWI MacMillan worked for the federal timber-trade commissioner and
the Imperial Munitions Board. In 1919, backed by British timber
merchant Montague Meyer, he launched H.R. MacMillan Export. His
manager (and later partner) was W.J. VanDusen. During WWII he was
the chair of Wartime Shipping Ltd., a Crown corporation. In 1951
MacMillan merged his company with Bloedel, Stewart and Welch to
form MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. He resigned as chair in 1956, and as
a director in 1970. See H.R. by Ken Drushka.
February 12 The opening ceremonies of the
Earle Douglas MacPhee Executive Conference Centre and the Cyrus
H. McLean Audio-Visual Theatre, the bottom and top floors (respectively)
of the north wing of the Henry Angus building (Faculty of Commerce
and Business Administration).
March 10 12-year-old Abby Drover was abducted
while on her way to school from her Port Moody home. She was finally
found in September of 1976. Abby had been confined for six months
in a bunker underneath the garage of Donald Hay's home, less than
half-a-mile from the Drover home, and tortured and repeatedly raped.
Hay was given a life sentence for the abduction.
In 2001 Abby Drover would give her consent for her
name to be published. She said she was moved to go public by a spate
of recent attempted abductions of children in the Vancouver area.
She said she wanted to make sure that those hurt by crime, especially
children, know they can get help through victim services. They
certainly have made a difference in my life, she said. If
were all honest with ourselves, we can all remember the victims
name second, and I want to change that.
Hay has frequently applied for parole, most recently
in 2006, and has been turned down. See the book Resurrection:
The Kidnapping of Abby Drover by John Griffiths.
March 16 Artist B.C. Binning died in Vancouver,
aged 67. Bertram Charles Binning, writes Constance Brissenden,
was born February 10, 1909 in Medicine Hat, Alta. His family
moved to Vancouver in 1913. He attended the Vancouver School of
Art (VSA), and art schools in Oregon, Greenwich Village and London,
Eng. He joined UBC's school of architecture in 1949 after teaching
at VSA. Binning was a founder and head of the UBC fine arts department
(1955-68); instructor (1968-73). He developed UBC's Fine Arts Gallery,
launched the Brock Hall Canadian art collection and was founder/director
of the Festival of Contemporary Arts. He was involved in the
negotiations for the planning of the Nitobe Memorial Garden at UBC.
Binning was awarded the Order of Canada Medal of
Service in 1971. Thousands of locals see his work daily in the intricate
pattern of tiles on Electra, formerly the BC Hydro, and earlier
the BC Electric Building, at Burrard and Nelson Streets.
There is a nice appreciation of his work on the Artists For Kids
site and the North Shore News has a delightful story
on the home Binning built in 1941 for himself and his wife . . .
March The following structures were designated
Schedule A Heritage Buildings by the City of Vancouver. (Years of
construction/modifications in parentheses).
- Beatty Street Drill Hall (1899-1901) 620 Beatty
- James England House (1907) 2300 Birch
- Marine Building (1920-30) 355 Burrard
- Hotel Vancouver (1929-39) 900 West Georgia
- Sylvia Hotel (1911-12) 1154 Gilford
- Vancouver Block (1912) 736 Granville
- Winch Building (1909) 757 West Hastings
- BC Permanent Loan (1907) 330 West Pender
- Canada Permanent (1911) 432 Richards
- Hodson Manor (1894 & 1903) 1254 West 7th
- Steamboat House (1890) 1151 West 8th
- Davis House (1891) 166 West 10th
- City Hall (1936) 453 West 12th
The City of Vancouver has a web
site that explains the heritage designations. A
refers to buildings of Primary Significance, which represent
the best examples of a style or type of building; may be associated
with a person or event of significance. B refers
to Significant buildings, which represent good
examples of a particular style or type, either individually or collectively;
may have some documented historical or cultural significance in
April 3 The West Vancouver Aquatic Centre
opened at 776 22nd Street. It has a pool, weight room, sauna, Jacuzzi,
childrens pool, etc.
April 7 Rebecca Belle Watson, community activist,
died in Vancouver, aged about 65. She was born c. 1911 in Kitsilano.
She taught in the Cariboo, then trained as a nurse at Vancouver
General Hospital. In 1958, as spokesperson for Save Our Parklands
Association, she rescued the Shaughnessy Golf Course from development.
She was elected to the Vancouver park board in 1968. She was an
executive member of TEAM, The Electors Action Movement, and in 1971
became president of the BC Progressive Conservative Party. A West
End resident, she was active in its community associations. She
was named to the City of Vancouvers Civic Merit Board of Honor,
the 22nd inductee in its 34-year history.
April 23 The 93-metre high, 24-storey Four
Seasons Hotel at 791 W. Georgia officially opened with a benefit
to raise funds for the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra.
May 15 The Arthur Laing Bridge officially
opened, named after a native son of Richmond who became a cabinet
minister under Pierre Trudeau, then later a Senator. The $23 million
four-lane bridge, which crosses the north arm of the Fraser to Sea
Island, vastly speeded up access to the Vancouver International
Airport. See the entry for August 27, 1975 (when traffic began using
the bridge) for more.
May 16 An earthquake jolted southwestern BC
and adjacent Washington State, a 5.3 Richter-scale fracture 70 kilometres
below Pender Island. It knocked people from their beds in
White Rock, cut electrical services in Richmond and South Vancouver,
and on the Sechelt Peninsula, and sent residents of West End highrises
screaming into the halls as the building swayed for 30 seconds.
This is also the year the Pacific Geoscience Centre was created.
May 18 The Komagata Maru Incident,
a play by Sharon Pollock, opened at the Playhouse Theatre. The Literary
Encyclopedia has this to say about the play: The Komagata
Maru Incident, first produced by the Vancouver Playhouse in
1976 under Larry Lillos direction, secured Pollocks
position as an important playwright. It draws on an actual eventthe
governments refusal in 1914 to allow Sikh immigrants to land
on Canadian soilfor its story, but it stages that story in
a highly theatrical, presentational style developed through the
metaphors of a brothel and a circus with a ringmaster-cum-barker
called T.S. (short for The System).
May 20 The Joe Fortes Branch of the Vancouver
Public Librarynamed for the beloved English Bay life guardopened
at 870 Denman Street in the West End. Its web
site has much information, and neighborhood data.
May 27 Habitat, a United Nations Conference
on Human Settlements, convened in Vancouver. Hundreds of delegates
attended from all over the world. The event ran to June 11. To get
a sense of what was discussed (its style makes it a very dry read)
to read the Vancouver Declaration on Human Settlements. Heres
a sample: Governments and the international community should
facilitate the transfer of relevant technology and experience and
should encourage and assist the creation of endogenous technology
better suited to the sociocultural characteristics and patterns
of population by means of bilateral or multilateral agreements having
regard to the sovereignty and interest of the participating States.
The knowledge and experience accumulated on the subject of human
settlements should be available to all countries. Research and academic
institutions should contribute more fully to this effort by giving
greater attention to human settlements problems.
An alternativeand hugely popularconference, Habitat
Forum, run by Alan Clapp, was held at Jericho Beach Park. There
was music and entertainment and talk and the worlds longest
May 31 UBC's Museum
of Anthropology, around since 1947, moved into a stunning
new building designed by Arthur Erickson.
MOA was founded to preserve and display existing material, while
continuing to collect archaeological and ethnographical artifacts
from British Columbia and the rest of the world. (UBC had been collecting
ethnographic material since 1927.) For almost 50 years, the collection
remained in the basement of the Main Library, tended by a devoted
Dr. Harry Hawthorn and Audrey Hawthorn. In 1976, the collection
came out of the basement and moved into its 70,000-square-foot home
on the bluffs of Point Grey overlooking Howe Sound and the mountains.
The first director was Dr. Michael Ames, a Professor in the department
of Anthropology and Sociology.
The Museum was a gift from the federal government
to the people of B.C., to celebrate the 100th anniversary of B.C.
entering Confederation in 1871. The building was designed by Arthur
Erickson, once a professor at UBC. The Great Hall is reminiscent
of Haida Indian longhouses (examples of which can be found by the
museum). Inside is an impressive collection of Northwest Coastal
Indian artifacts and a vast research collection of anthropological
artifacts from most of the Pacific Cultures. These collections are
kept in open storage, displayed in glass cases and drawers
where anyone can see them easily, instead of in closed storage where
access for research or enjoyment is difficult. The entrance area
features a dramatic sculpture, Raven and the First Men, by
Haida artist Bill Reid (commissioned by the Museum in 1980). The
Museum has the world's largest collection of works by Reid.
May The Canadian Encyclopedia has good
detailed coverage of Vancouvers Community Music School (which
became the Vancouver Academy of Music in 1979) here.
A portion of it reads: Founded in 1969 as the result of a
five-year study of Vancouver's expanding needs by the non-profit
Community Arts Council. Situated at first on West 12th Ave, the
school moved in May 1976 to the Music Centre in Vanier Park, a former
RCAF warehouse, reconstructed at a cost of $1.8 million. The centre
comprises classrooms, practice studios, a library, rehearsal rooms
for orchestra and choir, 36 teaching studios, and the 284-seat Koerner
June 3 Freddie (Frederic Gordon Campbell)
Wood, University Players' Club founder, died in Vancouver, aged
89. He was born, writes Constance Brissenden, January
26, 1887 in Victoria. A McGill graduate (1910), he taught in Victoria,
then attended Harvard (MA, 1915). He was the first B.C.-born educator
at UBC when it opened in 1915 and was there until he retired in
1950. Wood founded and directed the University Players' Club from
1915 to 1931. He annually toured a student show across B.C., the
only live theatre seen in many towns. His wife Beatrice (b. November
29, 1899, Vancouver, d. July 18, 1992, Vancouver), was the daughter
of lieutenant-governor John William Fordham-Johnson (1931-36). The
University Players' Club was disbanded in 1966 after the launch
of UBC's theatre department. Wood was co-founder of Vancouver Little
Theatre with E.V. Young. UBCs Frederic Wood Theatre (the Freddy
Wood) is named for him. See the top of our 1952 page
for an interesting photograph.
June 27 The first Greek Days Festival is held
on West Broadway, sponsored by the Hellenic Community Association.
July 21 Black Top Taxi bowed to the B.C. Human
Rights Branch and lifted a 9 p.m. ban on woman drivers that had
been contested by owner-operator Terry Bellamy, a mother of three
who needed to work nights.
August 4 Brill T-44 coach #2082 made its final
run after 28 years of service.
August 8 Wilson Duff, anthropologist, died
by suicide in Vancouver, aged 51. He was born March 23, 1925 in
Vancouver. His entire career centered on the study of Northwest
Coast Indians. He was educated at UBC (BA, 1949) and U. of Washington
(MA, 1951). Duff was the curator of anthropology at provincial museum
from 1950 to 1965. He moved to Vancouver to teach and do research
at UBCs department of anthropology and sociology. He was a
founding member of the B.C. Museum Association. Duff helped preserve
the last remaining totem poles at Kitwancool and villages in Queen
Charlotte Islands in the 1950s. He wrote The Indian History of
British Columbia and Arts of the Raven: Masterworks by the
Northwest Coast Indians. And see The World is as Sharp as
a Knife, An Anthology in Honor of Wilson Duff, edited
by Donald N. Abbott. For a good brief biography, and an explanation
of his suicide, look here.
August Vancouver's Greg Joy won Olympic silver
in the high jump. Theres a brief 1976 interview about the
win with Joy by Peter Gzowski here.
He talks about his rivalry with American Dwight Stones (who won
bronze), the booing of the crowd and more.
September 5 Writes Lee Bacchus: A former
CBC producer/director named Daryl Duke and his partner, writer/producer
Norman Klenman, created CKVU, a small independent station on West
Second Avenue in Vancouver. Their flagship program was a five-day-a-week,
live talk and entertainment potpourri called The Vancouver Show.
CKVU kicked off its broadcast on Sept. 5, 1976 with the two-hour
program with hosts Mike Winlaw (a former host of CBUT's Hourglass)
and Pia Shandel (a local actor). This was Vancouver's second
privately-owned television station, CKVU-TV. Duke would serve as
president, chief executive officer and chairman of the board until
1988 when he sold his ownership in order to devote full time to
his film and television career. See this
It was pretty hairy back then, says Ed Knight, the
station's design director and charter staffer. I was the eldest
even back then. Most of the employees very young people who had
come from other media. We worked around the clockof course
there were no unions back then.
September 7 B.C. Tel began direct distance
dialling overseas. To mark the occasion Vancouvers mayor Art
Phillips called the mayor of Kings Lynn in England, the birthplace
of Capt. George Vancouver.
September 12 The old Central School/City Hall
building in North Vancouver opened as Presentation House, housing
the North Shore Museum and Archives, a small theatre, and a photographic
gallery. There is a fine history of the complex, and a tribute to
Anne MacDonaldso important to its developmenthere.
September 17 Official opening of the UBC Law
September 27 CBUFT/26 (cable 7) signed on
at 9:30 a.m., bringing CBC-TV's French language service to the west
Fall Douglas College opened a Richmond campus,
at 5840 Cedarbridge way, a converted warehouse.
November 30 Six women were ordained as Anglican
priests in Canada today, two of them in B.C. Nearly 1,000 people
jammed into Vancouver's 800-seat Christ Church Cathedral to witness
the ordination of the Rev. Virginia Briant and the Rev. Elspeth
Alley. Anglican Archbishop David Somerville officiated at the ceremony,
which also saw the Rev. Michael Deck become a priest. During the
ceremony, the rector at St. David's parish read a protest against
the ordination of the two women, saying it was a sponge [sic]
to women's lib. The Rev. Virginia Briant is now retired in
Penticton. The Rev. Elspeth Alley died in 2000.
Also November 30 The front page of the Province
had disturbing news: The Canadian dollar had dropped to 96.95 cents
in U.S. funds. Corporate traders in the U.S. were jumping
into the foreign exchange market to unload their Canadian currency.
It was not until December 2 that our dollar stopped its plunge
at 96.76 cents. (At this writing, it's 85.7.)
December 6 The BC
Paraplegic Foundation was incorporated.
December 10 Work will start immediately,
the Province wrote, on construction of a $30-million
grain elevator in North Vancouver to replace the Burrard Terminals
elevator partly destroyed by an explosion and fire in October 1975
. . . The elevator will have a storage capacity of four million
bushels and will be able to unload more than 100 cars per eight-hour
shift. The present concrete silos, built in 1928, will be integrated
into the new complex, which will operate under the name of Pioneer
Grain Terminals Ltd.
December 15 Grouse Mountain Resorts' Superskyride
was opened by Premier Bill Bennett, more than doubling the uphill
capacity. It was 10 years to the day since his father, Premier W.A.C.
Bennett, opened the first Grouse Mountain skyride.
December The following structures were designated
Schedule A Heritage Buildings by the City of Vancouver. (Years of
construction/modifications in parentheses).
- Alexandra Park Bandstand (1915) Beach Avenue at Burnaby
- St. Paul's Church (1905) 1138 Jervis
First Baptist Church (1911) 969 Burrard
- Strathcona School, Nos. 2, 3, 4, & 5 (1897) 594 East Pender
- Roedde House (1893) 1415 Barclay
- Vancouver Club (1912-14)
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church (1950) 154 East 10th
- Hirshfield House (1910) 1963 Comox
The following structures were designated Schedule B Heritage Buildings
by the City of Vancouver. (Years of construction/modifications in
- Chalmers Church (1912) 2801 Hemlock
- Douglas Lodge (1907) 2799 Granville
- St. Luke's Home (1924) 309 East Cordova
- Palms Hotel (1890 & 1913) 869-873 Granville
- Bank of Commerce (1929) 819 Granville
- Hudson's Bay Insurance Co. (1911) 900 West Hastings
For an explanation of the A and B
designations, see the same subject in the March entry above.
Also in 1976
Tong Louie, head of H.Y. Louie Co. Limited, bought
London Drugswhich was, at the time, owned by an American company,
the Daylin Corporation. His competition for the purchase was the
American firm Payless. They held the option to buy the chain, but
were being thwarted by Canadian federal regulations forbidding foreign
companies taking over Canadian companies without having a Canadian
partner. In 1976 Payless came to Vancouver looking for just such
a partner. From a fascinating 2003 book titled Laws of Heaven by
Eve Rockett, the story of the H.Y. Louie Company, we learn that
the search came down to two contenders: H.Y. Louie and eastern-based
Shoppers Drug Mart.
Tong, Payless and the lawyers gathered in the
offices of Bull Housser & Tupper in the Royal Centre downtown,
Rockett writes. Im not used to having partners,
said Tong. What do you want for the option? The price
for the stores was $9 million; for the option they wanted $500,000
US. His accountant and his lawyer warned him in no uncertain
terms that there had been no due diligence, says Brandt. My
father puffed on his pipe and thought about it for 30 seconds, and
extended his hand. Okay, he said, its a
deal. From the moment they all sat down until they shook hands,
the meeting took 20 minutes.
A Payless representative spoke up. Youre a private
company, we dont know anything about you. We have to look
at your financial statements to vouch youll go through with
the deal. Tong phoned the Royal Bank on the 36th floor and
told them to come down with a comfort letter and a bank draft for
half a million dollars. He handed over the comfort letter and the
cheque, the lawyers drafted a document and Tong walked out.
In about half an hour, Tong Louie had brought London Drugs
home to Canada.
The Vancouver Book appeared. This was an urban
almanac, conceived and edited by Chuck Davis. It was just
under 500 pages long, commissioned by the Social Planning Department
of the City of Vancouver, and had dozens of articles on the citys
history, neighborhoods, environment, architecture, government, ethnic
groups, media, transportation and more. The Greater Vancouver Book
(1997), also edited by Davis, was an expansion of the original notion.
The local book-publishing trade began to make an
impression. In 1976 The Vancouver Book listed more than 35
local book publishers with an annual total of 100 new titles, including
books on poetry, yoga, metric conversion, educational, medical and
The book Gabby, Ernie and Me, by Ted Ashlee, appeared, an
anecdotal reminiscence of the authors early life in Marpole.
The book Two Weeks in Vancouver, by Chuck Davis and John
Ewing, appeared. This was a small guidebook to the city intended
for use by delegates to Habitat, the UN conference. The book also
appeared in French and Spanish translation.
The book Woodwards: the story of a distinguished B.C. family
appeared. Written by Douglas E. Harker, its a history of the
famed retailing family.
These publications first appeared in 1976:
Association for Canadian Theatre Research: Newsletter, a
semi-annual publication of the Association for Canadian Theatre
B C Journal of Special Education It was published three
times a year by the Special Education Association, Dept. of Educational
Psychology and Special Education, UBC. The publication was devoted
to reviews of research, case studies, surveys, and reports on the
effectiveness of innovative programs
Copper Toadstool, a semi-annual literary magazine.
Multifaith News, published five times a year by the Multifaith
Action Society, this was an inter-faith publication aimed at promoting
understanding between different faith groups, social action in perspective
Music Research News This was a semi-annual publication of
the Canadian Music Research Council, c/o Simon Fraser University.
Other Press, a free fortnightly student newspaper out of
Douglas College in New Westminster.
TV Week, a weekly magazine with listings and television-related
The Outdoor Recreation Council of B.C. was established.
It is a registered non-profit umbrella organization dedicated to
promoting outdoor recreation in B.C.
Artist Robert Bateman retired after 20 years of teaching
high school geography and art to paint full time. He was, he says,
inspired by the work of American painter Andrew Wyeth. And what
does Salt Spring Islands most well-known resident, renowned
for his wildlife paintings, think of critics who say his work isnt
real art? My view of all this is that an artist is an artist,
be he/she high, low or decorative. Artists are artists because they
can't help itthey just are and they do art for the love of
it or because they can't stop themselves. Hes raised
millions for naturalist and conservation organizations. Theres
lots of his work viewable on the Net. Go to this
site and click on the Biography link.
After the Vancouver Stock Exchanges worst year
in more than a decade (1975, with just 190 million shares traded),
the VSE got a new president, tough-minded securities lawyer Robert
Scott. In their critical 1987 book on the VSE, Fleecing The Lamb,
David Cruise and Alison Griffiths wrote that Scott created
new regulations and saw to it that the old ones were enforced.
The building at Main Street and East 15th in Vancouver,
erected in 1914, was originally Postal Station C. Later it became
a federal Department of Agriculture office block, then sat empty
for three years. Then in 1965 it was occupied by a special investigation
branch of the RCMP . . . who moved out this year. Today the building
is known as Heritage Hall.
The 198-metre-high (650 feet) Mica Dam on the Columbia
River added 870,000 kilowatts to the B.C. Hydro power system. The
first two dams on the Columbia had been completed in 1967 (Duncan)
and 1968 (Hugh Keenlyside).
BC Ferries launched three double-ended jumbo
The Richmond Nature Park opened. It was intended
to preserve the last remaining section of Burns Bog. The web
site says, in part, The Richmond Nature Park consists
of 200 acres of the raised peat bog habitat that once covered large
portions of Lulu Island. Four walking trails totalling 7 km in length
provide visitors the opportunity to encounter plants and animals
in bog, forest and pond habitats.
Vancouver designated the Marine Building as a heritage
property, citing it as one of the most accomplished and complete
examples of Art Deco style in the world. In addition, the literal
interpretation of the Vancouver environment in its form and details
gives it a special architectural significance.
Whistler got its own post office.
Architect Arthur Erickson won a Citation from the
Canadian Architect Yearbook for the British Columbia Medical Centre.
The 10-storey 35-metre-high B.C. Turf Building was
constructed. Its architect was Zoltan Kiss. Its known today
simply as 475 West Georgia.
The owners and management of the Penthouse Cabaret
on Seymour were charged with keeping a common bawdy house. The Penthouse
Six, as they became known, included Joe Philliponi, a celebrated
cabaret figure. It was alleged that 80 to 100 prostitutes a night
would pick up clients at the nightspot. The trial, wrote
Greg Middleton of the Province, was a sensation. There
were undercover tapes, liquor inspectors on the take . . . During
the trial, Philliponi pleaded for leniency, claiming it would
kill my mother. The trial regaled packed courtrooms for months,
before all six finally walked free after successfully appealing
the conviction. In 1983 Joe Philliponi was shot dead during
The landfill in Langley City was closed. It was full.
A study showed that 63.9 per cent of B.C.s
native population lived on reserves. Today its less than 50
per cent and dropping.
George Athans, Jr., who had won the world crown for
water-skiing in 1973 at Bogota, was inducted into the B.C. Sports
Hall of Fame.
Whistler opened a new school named for pioneer Myrtle
Philip. She and her husband Alex had opened Rainbow Lodge. She helped
run the lodge, kept a general store and was postmistress for 30
years. Myrtle Philip was instrumental in establishing the area's
first school in 1920. When the government turned down her request
for a school she arranged to lease land from the railway and parents
built their own.
A north wing was added to UBCs Biological Sciences
Building (Botany, Zoology, Oceanography and Microbiology).
An addition including the main lecture hall, faculty
offices, a lounge and a library of more than 200,000 volumes, was
added to UBCs George F. Curtis Building (Law).
A censure of SFU by the Canadian Association of University
Teachers (for alleged interference in academic affairs by the universitys
Board of Governors), in place since 1970, was removed.
The B.C. Childrens Hospital chose its location:
4480 Oak Street.
Jack Short, about 68, BCs famous racing broadcaster,
wrapped up his race-calling career nicely: he was named BCs
Broadcast Performer of the Year.
Two major local firms, Benndorf Office Equipment
and Verster Business Machines, merged to become Benndorf Verster.
Today the company is known as Ikon Office Solutions.
Max Wyman, who came to Vancouver from London in 1967,
began to serve as a national assessor of dance companies for the
The CBC produces a film, Between the Sky and the
Splinters, a look at poet Peter Trower. The title is taken from
Trowers 1974 poetry collection.
The film The Keeper (director Tom Drake) is
released. In this tongue-in-cheek look at institutional bedlam,
writes Michael Walsh, it's hard to tell the patients from
the administrator (Christopher Lee) of the Underwood Asylum.
The cast included a 12-year-old Ian Tracey.
We cant resist including this precis of the film, written
by a visitor to the Internet Movie Data Base (imdb.com), the best
movie-centered web site there is:
The Keeper of Underwood Asylum has the mental patients of
the wealthiest families in British Columbia. The rest of the family
members have been dying under mysterious circumstances, so Biggs
hires private investigator Richard Driver, who puts his assistant,
Maybelline, in the asylum pretending she is his cousin and that
they came from a family where the parents were all first cousins
to each other and they decided to keep their love platonic for genetic
reasons. Then he tries to get Inspector Clarke to check him in as
a narcoleptic who didn't wake up with his body. They all know what
the keeper has been doing, but it is a matter of proving it, and
avoiding the hypnotized Biggs twins and Danny, who he is able to
keep catatonic with his machine. Inspector Clarke gives Driver a
lot of trouble, and the kid giving shoe shines looks down on everybody,
knowing more. Wow. This one sounds like a . . . keeper.
The film Shadow Of The Hawk (director George
McCowan) is released. The Vancouver grandson (Jan-Michael Vincent)
of a tribal shaman (Chief Dan George) is summoned to his ancestral
home to deal with a demonic entity. The cast includes Pia Shandel.
The film Food Of The Gods (director Bert I.
Gordon) is released. When growth hormones from outer space turn
Bowen Island rats into monster rodents, writes Michael Walsh, a
vacationing B.C. Lion (Marjoe Gortner) calls the plays like a professional
Choreographer Judith Marcuse, born in Montreal in
1947, moved to Vancouver after dancing in modern and classical companies
in Europe, Israel and North America. She would launch her own company
The Terminal City Dance company was launched. This
was a company, writes Max Wyman, with long-term significance
for movement-making in Vancouver . . . A product of a collaboration
between (initially) two former Garland students, Karen Rimmer and
Savannah Walling, and (eventually) three other dancers, its focus
was experiment and exploration. The ensemble would break up
in 1983. See that year (when its added!) for what happened
A 40-foot-tall pole titled Myth of the Bear People,
carved by Chief William Jeffrey, was placed at the West Van Aquatic
Geese in Flight, a fibreglass sculpture by Robert
Dow Reid, was installed at 700 West Pender.
Horse, an abstract bronze sculpture by Jack
Harman, was placed at 475 West Georgia. This, writes
Elizabeth Godley, is one of the few of Harman's sculptures
that he did not cast himself. It would be removed and replaced
in 2000 by Royal Sweet Diamond (a bull) by Joe Fafard.
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]