- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]  
This year is sponsored.
You'll note that this year includes events listed under "Also
in . . ." These are events for which we don't have a specific
date. If YOU know the
specific date of an event shown there, please
notify us . . . and cite the source! Many thanks!
February 9 A Vancouver banker, Ewing Buchan,
had his version of O Canada sung at a meeting of the Canadian Club.
Buchans lyrics will be very popular in BC, but will eventually
February 28 Vancouvers main post office
moved to the northwest corner of Granville and Hastings. Its new
home had Edwardian Baroque dignity, with columns, a clock
tower and a granite facade. Today its part of Sinclair
March 4 At Rogers Pass a CPR rotary snow plow
and hundreds of workers were clearing snow and debris from an avalanche
when a second avalanche swept down from above, killing 62.
March 11 Chief Joe Capilano died.
March 12 An explosion at a dynamite plant
on Bowen Island kills five workers and is felt in Nanaimo.
March 25 The first airplane flight west of
Winnipeg took place at Minoru Park in Richmond, with 3,500 spectators.
Flying a Curtiss pusher biplane was pilot Charles K. Hamilton. On
March 26 Hamilton flew from Minoru to New Westminster and back.
He later challenged a racehorse to a one-mile race which, much to
Hamilton's embarrassment, the horse won by ten seconds.
March 31 James Edwin Machin, Vancouvers
first librarian, died.
April 20 A man in Surrey was fined $10 for
speeding in his 1907 Marion car. He was travelling at 12 miles per
May 6 King Edward VII died (and was succeeded
by George V). The Vancouver chapter of the IODE (Imperial Order
Daughters of the Empire) commissioned a fountain from sculptor Charles
Marega in tribute to Edward. Today it stands next to the Art Gallery
on the east side of Hornby Street.
May A site commission established
by the provincial government began to tour British Columbia for
a suitable site for the provincial university. They eventually chose
June The North Vancouver Yacht Club held its
first long distance race for the Cates Cup, won by W.S. Buttar's
July 4 W.G. McElhanney founded the engineering
firm that bears his name today. The McElhanney
Group of companies is a multi-disciplined firm with
offices in western Canada and Indonesia.
July The name of Vancouvers Westminster
Avenueso named because it led to New Westminster at the timewas
changed to Main Street. (Its original name was False Creek Road.)
August 15 At Exhibition Park, the Vancouver
Exhibition opened to the public for the first time. We know it today
as the Pacific National Exhibition.
August 16 The Exhibitions official opening
was today, a ceremony presided over by Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier.
The Vancouver Daily News-Advertiser wrote, Petrified
women, sacrificial crocodiles from the sacred river Ganges, and
dusky negroes who dodge swiftly thrown baseballs, to say nothing
of the numerous Salome dancers, Spanish Carmens, Dutch comedians
and chorus girls are some of the attractions being offered the visitors
at the fair this week.
Also in August Major-General Baden-Powell
visited North Vancouver and inspected a gathering of local Boy Scouts.
October The first Annual Banquet of North
Vancouver's Board of Trade was held. Streetcars and a special ferry
ran overtime for this occasion.
Also in October All-night street lighting
began in North Vancouver.
November 9 We call it Central City Mission
today, but when they laid the cornerstone todayin a driving
rainit was just the Central Mission. Clerics from a number
of local churches were there. The Mission has since housed thousands
and fed millions. On July 24, 1993, it moved from 233 Abbott St.
to a new location at 415 W. Pender.
November 17 Anna Pavlova, the most famous
dancer who ever lived, danced in Vancouver today. See the full story
in our sites Archives
November 23 The Royal Canadian Navys
HMCS Rainbow steamed into Vancouver's harbour this afternoon. She
was the first RCN warship to visit the port, and the city gave her
and her 189 crew members a big welcome.
November 24 The management of the B.C.
Electric Railway Company issued a call for tenders for its new passenger
station and office block at the southwest corner of Carrall and
Hastings streets . . . Old-timers will recall the interurban
cars actually running through the ground floor of that building,
there to this day.
December 10 Father Edmond Maillard, after
whom Maillardville was named, opened Our Lady of Lourdes Church
December 21 Hastings Townsite ratepayers vote
to join Vancouver.
Also in 1910
The city of South Vancouver was incorporated. Its
northern boundary was 16th Avenue.
A large grant from an Anglican Church conference
held in London was given to establish a theological school in Vancouver.
An interurban railway was put through on the south
side of the Fraser River expressly built to carry valley farm produce
between New Westminster and Chilliwack.
Vancouver city police were agitating for a six-day
week. The request was shelved.
Sacred Heart Catholic church, consecrated in 1884
at Ustlawn village, the Indian mission village in North Vancouver,
had a second spire added during renovations this year and was rededicated
as St. Paul's. Its a familiar north shore landmark to this
Fraser Mills became the Canadian Western Lumber Company.
It would grow to become the biggest lumber company in the British
North Vancouver High School opened. For many years
it was the only high school on the north shore.
Henry Thomas Thrift, Surreys municipal clerk,
donated land for a new school building.
Kerrisdale Avenue was named at the request of Mrs.
McKinnon, whose family had settled in that area in 1897. Kerrisdale
was named after their home in Scotland, Kerry's Dale.
Louis D. Taylor was first elected mayor. He would
later make it a habit.
The name Ocean Park was chosen by the Rev. W.P. Goard
for the development owned by his Ocean Park Syndicate, made up of
prominent Lower Mainland Methodists wanting land for recreational
and educational purposes.
The Cedar Cottage neighborhood got its name from
an Interurban train stop there. The station, in turn, was named
for the Cedar Cottage Brewery. Cedar Cottage has always been proud
to be the only neighbourhood in Vancouver to have a lake. (Trout
Southlands, a lavish Marine Drive mansion,
was built for the wholesale grocer W.H. Malkin. It was the first
built in that area.
Knox Presbyterian Church began services in the Southlands
district. It would later become part of the United Church and change
its name to Knox United.
The three-year-old City of North Vancouver had 5,000
Riverview Psychiatric Hospital opened in Coquitlam
as the Hospital for the Mind, including Colony Farm, operating out
of a hay barn on1,000 acres. Sixty patients were admitted the first
year, working on the farm to provide food for themselves and staff.
The Interurban railway sparked growth at Innes Corners/Langley
Prairie. It ran through the centre of what is now the City of Langley.
The BC Electric substation here is admired by architects.
Glen Brae was built in Shaughnessy for lumber magnate
William Tait. This striking building is known today as Canuck Place,
a childrens hospice.
Fairacres was built in Burnaby as a home for realtor
Henry Ceperly and his wife Grace. Since 1967 it has been home to
the Burnaby Art Gallery.
The Vancouver Block went up at 736 Granville. Its
lofty clock is a downtown landmark.
Architect Woodruff Marbury Somervell arrived in Vancouver
from Seattle. Among the buildings he would design in the next few
years: sugar king B.T. Rogers' mansion, Shannon; the now-vanished
Birks Building, the BC Electric building at Hastings and Carrall
and the T-D Bank at Hastings and Seymour.
Sculptor Charles Marega created a bust of former
mayor David Oppenheimer near the entrance to Stanley Park. (Oppenheimer
had presided at the opening of the park.)
Columbia Bitulithic was founded and headquartered
in Coquitlam. The company built roads throughout the province and
was responsible for a lot of the Vancouver road network.
The 6th Field Company Canadian Engineers was established
in North Vancouver.
A visitor to Vancouver's east side reported that
a Piccola Italia, or Little Italy, had been established
in the area around present-day Main Street. There were about 1,000
Italians in Vancouver at the time.
B'nai B'rith was established in Vancouver.
The first interment at The Old Cemetery
on Lillooet Road in North Vancouver.
The Oblate Fathers opened their third Vancouver church
on 12th Avenue just west of Main Street in Mount Pleasant. Built
in the neo-classical revival style, St. Patrick's had twin cupolas
and a grand entry portico with Ionic columns. That church has now
been replaced with a newer building facing onto Main Street.
The Canadian Immigration Act specifically barred
immigrants from India.
West Vancouver's John Lawson donated land at 18th
and Marine Drive for a building to house a church (Presbyterian)
and Hollyburn School.
The north shore hospital moved to a bigger 15-bed
building at 151 East 12th Street.
The Associated Charities of Vancouver started a West
End Creche (as child-care facilities then were called).
The wood-hulled, steam-powered tug Haro was built
in Vancouver for B.C. Mills (Hastings Mill) for its harbor service.
The Bank of Vancouver was established. It would go
into liquidation just five years later, because it could not attract
a significant deposit base.
The first B.C. Federation of Labour was formed. Twenty-six
delegates, mainly from the Lower Mainland, pledged to seek the eight-hour
day, favored industrial unionism and endorsed socialism. This federation
would be disbanded in 1920.
Car dealer H. Hooper made a record automobile trip
from Chilliwack to New Westminster in two hours and ten minutes.
There were no roads as such.
Bob Brown, the man who would become known here as
"Mr. Baseball," bought the Vancouver Beavers for $500.
He was the club's owner, president, manager and shortstop.
Two sculpted lions were placed in front of the provincial
courthouse in Vancouver. They were created by John Bruce, a Scot.
Each weighed 15 tonnes, and cost $4,000.
An itinerant young English actor named William Pratt
arrived in Vancouver. Among his earliest non-acting jobs here: carpenter
at the Vancouver Exhibition. Later he would move to Hollywood and
change his name to Boris Karloff.
Phyllis Munday, 15, began Vancouver's first Girl
Guide company with her mother.
Woodwards held its first one-price sale day,
25 Cents Day, a forerunner of $1.49 Day.
The Dominion Building, one of the most visually distinct
of all Vancouvers buildings, was erected at the northwest
corner of Hastings and Cambie. It was briefly the tallest building
in the British Empire.
1910 Flanders Roadster
- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]