Some odd stuff has happened in Vancouver's past.
Here's a sampling (click to view):
· 1900 to 1922
· 1923 to 1930
· 1931 to 1935
· 1936 to 1940
· 1941 to 1946
· 1947 to 1954
· 1955 to 1960
· 1961 to 1965
From 1792 to 1899
For more details on these items see the Chronology for the
- In 1792 a Spanish exploration party in these
waters taught the local native people a song called Malbrouck,
and recorded in their journals that the men were singing the song
as they paddled away. We know the tune as For Hes a Jolly
- In 1861 Col. Richard Moody of the Royal Engineers
named Lulu Island in Richmond in honor of 16-year-old singer Lulu
Sweet, a visiting member of a touring San Francisco musical revue.
- In 1865 the first telegraph message from the
outside world to arrive at Burrard Inlet told of the assassination
of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln.
- In 1867 when newly-arrived John Gassy Jack
Deighton arrived at Burrard Inlet he told the mill workers there
they could have all the whiskey they could drink if they helped
him build his saloon. The Globe went up in 24 hours.
- In 1869 our first (unofficial) postmaster was
hotel owner Maxie Michaud. He had walked here from Montreal.
- In 1878 the Moodyville Tickler, Burrard
Inlet's first newspaper, appeared. It had a very brief, tongue-in-cheek
existence. For example, the more you paid for your obituary the
more glowing it became.
- In 1880 the influential London Truth newspaper
editorialized: British Columbia is not worth keeping. It
should never have been inhabited at all. It will never pay a red
cent of interest on the money that may be sunk in it.
- In the 1880s a company of American cavalry raided an Apache
village in Arizona. Among other things, they discovered a stack
of Canadian Pacific Railway pamphlets advertising lots in Vancouvers
posh Brighouse Estates!
- In 1882, when the first electricity came to B.C.
(at the Moodyville sawmill on the north shore of Burrard Inlet)
the mayor and council of Victoria made a special trip to see the
lights turned on.
- In 1883 the first locomotive arrived in Vancouver
. . . on a ship! It was used for local work.
- In 1884 huge, knot-free beams, 34 m (112 feet)
long by 70 cm (28 inches) square were shipped to Beijing from
Burrard Inlet sawmills. Theyre still there, part of the
- In 1886 the incorporation ceremony creating
the City of Vancouver was delayed when it was realized no one
had thought to bring paper to write down the details. One of the
men there ran over to Tilleys Stationery and bought a pen
and some paper.
- In 1886 butcher George Black organized horse
races down muddy Granville Street.
- In 1886 when the citys first fire engine
and its supporting equipment arrived (two months after the Great
Fire), there were no horses available to pull it. For a time it
had to be pulled to fires by the firefighters themselves.
- In 1886 the first badges for the Vancouver City
Police were made of American silver dollars, with one side smoothed
down and engraved Vancouver City Police.
- In 1886, with a population of about 1,000, Vancouver
had three daily newspapers.
- In 1889, the writer Rudyard Kipling visited Vancouver
and bought land here: two lots at the southeast corner of East
11th Avenue and Fraser Street.
- In 1891, when the population of Vancouver was
only about 13,000, the Vancouver Opera House, built for the Canadian
Pacific Railway, opened on Granville with 2,000 seats.
- In 1891 world-famed actress Sarah Bernhardt appeared
in Vancouver, but audience numbers fell off sharply when it was
found she acted only in French.
- In 1892 BC premier John Robson, after whom Robson
Street is named, was visiting London, England. He got his finger
caught in a cab door, infection set in, and he died.
- In 1893 the exclusive Vancouver Club was formed.
Shortly after its inauguration it ran into financial problems,
and its china and silverware was repossessed. It was usedcomplete
with the clubs crestin the restaurant of the man who
had supplied the stuff!
- In 1894 the forerunner of the Vancouver Museum
was created. The first donation was a stuffed swan.
- In 1894 gold was discovered on Lulu Island.
- In 1895 Burnaby hired its first law enforcer,
at $2 a day, to police rowdyism, notify owners of swine running
at large, and enforce the wide tire by-law for wagons. He was
dismissed for lack of funds in April 1897.
- In 1898, on October 15, the Nine OClock
Gun was fired for the first time in Stanley Park . . . at noon.
- In 1899, the citys first CPR station (a
tiny building) was moved from the north foot of Howe Street to
No. 10 Heatley Street. CPR worker William Alberts, who had been
badly injured on the job, was allowed to move into the old, unused
station and use it as a rent-free residence for the rest of his
life. He lived there for 50 years.
1900 to 1922 »