By Constance Brissenden
With additional research by Larry Loyie
The History of Metropolitan
Vancouver Hall of Fame represents nearly 500 of the thousands of
people who have contributed to the history of the lower mainland
of BC. They come from all walks of life, all cultural backgrounds
and all occupations. All of the Hall of Famers are now deceased,
and we are proud to include a brief record of their accomplishments
here. For the first time, Metropolitan Vancouver has a biographical
directory that includes many individuals from communities overlooked
in the past.
If you have suggestions for inclusion (remember
the person must be deceased), please contact us HERE.
B C D
For Mayors of Vancouver,
Angelo Calori Hotelier b. c. 1860, Italy;
d. May 7, 1940, Burnaby, B.C. Arrived in Victoria in 1882; moved
to Vancouver in 1886. Built and managed Vancouver's premier example
of a flatiron building, the Europe Hotel at Alexander and Powell.
Erected in 1908-09, the building still stands in Gastown, with fine
stonework, glass and marble main floor. Building claimed to be "absolutely
fireproof ... with all outside rooms." Its slogan was, "Our
autobus meets all trains and boats." A founder (with restaurateur
Agostino Ferrera) of the Sons of Italy.
Henry John Cambie Railway engineer b. Oct.
25, 1836, Tipperary, Ire.; d. April 23, 1928, Vancouver. Came to
Canada in 1852, working for Grand Trunk Railway until 1859. Joined
Sandford Fleming exploring the Chilcotin for a route to Bute Inlet.
In charge of CPR surveys (1876-80). His survey from Yellowhead Pass
to Port Moody set the route to the lower Fraser. In 1879 surveyed
the north for a third route from Prairies to coast. From 1880-83
supervised laying of tracks from Emory Bar to Boston Bar via Fraser
Canyon; next supervised Savona to Shuswap Lake. In 1903, moved to
Vancouver; retired in 1921. Cambie Street is named for him.
Agnes Deans Cameron Teacher, tavel writer
b. Dec. 20, 1863, Victoria; d. May 13, 1912, Victoria. In 1882-83,
teaching at Hastings Mill School, she posted a notice on the schoolhouse
door: "Irate parents will be received after 3 p.m." First
woman high school teacher and first woman principal in the Vancouver
area (1894). After being fired for allowing students to use a ruler
during a drawing exam, she became a popular travel writer. In 1908,
voyaged 10,000 miles up the MacKenzie to the Arctic Circle with
niece Jesse Cameron Brown. Illustrated her book with her niece's
photos. Later wrote about an amusing bicycle tour she also photographed.
Biblio: The New North: an account of a woman's 1908 journey through
Canada to the Artic.
I. Glen Campbell Pioneer oculist b. c. 1868,
Montreal, Que.; d. Sept. 27, 1949, Vancouver. As a youth, one of
the fastest milers in Canada. After McGill and Royal London Ophthalmic
Hospital, came to Vancouver in 1899. Established Vancouver Medical
Association (president, 1906-07). One of the city's first eye, ear,
nose and throat specialists, practising for more than 50 years.
In 1902, introduced children's eye exams in city schools; in 1932,
began sight-saving classes. President of B.C. Medical Association
and B.C. College of Physicians and Surgeons. Wife H. Kathleen Campbell
and daughter Margaret A. Campbell were graduates of the VGH School
Joe Capilano Squamish chief, carver b. 1840,
North Shore; d. March 11, 1910, North Vancouver. With wife Mary
Capilano welcomed first missionaries to Capilano Band. Responsible
for building a church on reserve. Visited King Edward VII in 1906
to present a petition on Indian rights. On his return, was threatened
with being charged with "inciting the Indian to revolt"
for reporting certain statements alleged to have been made by King
Edward. A friend of Pauline Johnson.
Mary Agnes Joe Capilano (Lay-kho-lote, also
Lahullette, La-yulette) Squamish matriarch b. 1836, Potlatch Creek,
Howe Sound; d. Dec. 15, 1940, Capilano Indian Reserve, North Vancouver
at 104. Her grandfather, George Mathias, welcomed George Vancouver
off Point Grey on June 13, 1792; her father was Chief Skakhult.
Known as "The Indian Princess of Peace." An authority
on the genealogy of coastal tribes, she was a great orator in her
language. Married to Joe Capilano, they were visited by dignitaries
from England and other countries. Throughout her life she travelled
by dugout canoe across dangerous First Narrows between the reserve
and the city.
Mathias Joe Capilano Squamish chief, carver
b. c. 1885, North Shore; d. Dec. 12, 1966, Vancouver. Son of Chief
Joe and Mary Capilano. A prominent leader and internationally famed
carver, he was frequently written about in local newspapers. Attended
coronations of both George V and Elizabeth II, "wearing full
tribal regalia." Lifelong campaigner for the rights of Native
people. In 1949, with wife Ellen (d. 1959), cast the first native
ballots in B.C.
John Howe Carlisle First Vancouver fire chief
b. Nov. 4, 1857, Hillsboro, NB; d. Nov. 28, 1941, Burnaby, B.C.
Educated in Alberta; arrived in Vancouver in 1886. Joined volunteer
fire brigade in May, just before the Great Fire of June 13. In 1887,
made brigade chief. By 1889, he was chief of the Vancouver Fire
Department with eight "full paid" men and 12 "call
men." By 1906, there were 35 full paid men, two engines, plus
a 75-foot aerial truck and village truck, three two-horse hose wagons,
two chemical two-horse wagons, two combined two-horse hose and chemical
wagons and 15 firehalls. Chief for 42 years. First to be awarded
Vancouver's Good Citizen Award (1922). Carlisle St. is named for
Emily Carr Artist, writer b. Dec. 13, 1871,
Victoria; d. March 2, 1945, Victoria. In 1899, travelled to Ucleulet
on Vancouver Island, the first of many trips to paint Native sites.
After travels to Europe, Toronto and the Cariboo, moved to Vancouver
(uary 1906), renting a studio at 570 Granville. Taught art classes
(1908-10). After travels in B.C. and abroad, returned to Vancouver
(1912), renting a studio at 1465 W. Broadway. In March 1912, exhibited
her French paintings. In April 1913, rented Vancouver's Drummond
Hall and showed 200 paintings before returning to Victoria to live
on family property. Later in life, she wrote books including Klee
Wick and The Book of Small. D.Lib (UBC, 1945). Biblio: Dear Nan,
Letters of Emily Carr, Nan Cheney and Humphrey Toms edited by Doreen
Frank (Francis Lovet) Carter-Cotton Publisher
b. June 4, 1847, Yorkshire, Eng.; d. Nov. 20, 1919, Vancouver. Arrived
in Vancouver after the Great Fire of 1886. Merged Advertiser with
News to form News-Advertiser (1887), the first paper to classify
advertising in Vancouver, first on continent with electric-powered
press, first with machine-set type. "The Old Man" was
UBC's first chancellor. From 1880-1900, served as Vancouver's PC
MLA. Appointed to cabinet as minister of finance and chief commissioner
of lands and works. Defeated in 1900; returned as Richmond MLA (1903).
President, executive council, in McBride administration (1904-10).
First chair, Vancouver Harbor Commission (1913). A founder of The
Vancouver Board of Trade. Drowned himself in English Bay over money
problems, "crisply attired in business suit and hat, and carrying
a neatly furled umbrella."
Charles Henry Cates Captain b. Dec. 15, 1859,
Machias, Maine; d. Oct. 14, 1938, North Vancouver. Brother of George
Emery Cates. Engaged in similar activities on coast from 1886. Hauled
stone from Gibson and Squamish quarries to help rebuild Vancouver
after the Great Fire (June 13, 1886). Built first wharf on the North
Shore. In 1913, formed C.H. Cates towing, later Charles H. Cates
& Son (1921), one of the oldest and largest towage and "lightering"
firms on Burrard Inlet. His son and partner, John Henry Cates (b.
July 13, 1896, North Vancouver; d. Oct. 1986, North Vancouver),
was Lib. MLA (North Vancouver, 1945-52) and labor minister. John
Henry's wife, Carrie (Caroline), b. 1905, Canoe, B.C.; d. Feb. 21,
1977, Vancouver, was elected mayor of North Vancouver in 1964, defeating
three male candidates, and was re-elected in 1965 and 1967.
George Emery Cates Shipbuilder b. Dec. 6,
1861, Machias, Maine; d. March 27, 1936, Vancouver. Worked from
the age of nine. After learning shipbuilding in New York City, he
was employed on a schooner as a cook. Arrived in Vancouver in 1896
and started Cates Shipyards; built 500-ton steamship Britannia,
Klondike scows, and a 500-horsepower electric plant. His brother, John
A. Cates, "a big, friendly man who loved boats and dogs and
people," developed Bowen Island as a summer resort, opening
Hotel Monaco and Terminal Hotel. In 1902, John launched Terminal
Steamship ferry fleet. In 1920, Union Steamships bought the company
and built its own excursion fleet to Bowen Island.
Francis William Caulfeild Land developer b.
England; d. 1934, London, Eng., at age 94. Travelling through Canada,
Caulfeild was attracted by the beauty of the B.C. coast. In 1899,
purchased waterfront property east of Point Atkinson (former Skunk
Cove). Renamed it Caulfeild and developed it as a "charming
Old World community." The village was laid out to follow land
contours, with broad paths (later roads) and a quarter mile of waterfront
parkland. Although he never lived in B.C., Caulfeild visited often,
making his last trip in 1926. (The spelling "Caulfeild"
Henry Tracy Ceperley Realtor b. Jan. 10, 1850,
Oreonto, NY; d. Dec. 14, 1929, Coronado Beach, Calif. Arrived in
Vancouver around 1885. Ceperley Rounsefell & Co. (est. 1886),
became one of B.C.'s largest real estate/insurance firms. In 1887,
company renamed Ross and Ceperley Real Estate, Insurance and Financial
Agents. In partnership with Arthur Wellington Ross, successfully
speculated in land ventures. Developed Stanley Park concept, encouraging
CPR's William Van Horne to promote it in Ottawa. The park, which
includes Ceperley Playground, opened Sept. 27, 1889. His Deer Lake
home is now the Burnaby Art Gallery.
Francis Millar Chaldecott Point Grey settler
b. Oct. 10, 1863, Chertsey, Surrey, Eng.; d. 24, 1949, Vancouver.
Came to Canada in 1890. In 1891, admitted to B.C. bar; practised
law in Vancouver until 1941 retirement. Owned 107 acres in South
Vancouver and half interest in 240 acres in Point Grey. As solicitor,
organized Municipality of South Vancouver. Member of B.C. Game Association
with a special interest in game bird introduction. A local owner
of Hong Kong-based yacht Minerva; also an officer of the Cricket
Club. Chaldecott Road and Chaldecott Park are named for him.
Dominic Charlie (Tsee-Qawl-Tuhn) Squamish
leader, weather forecaster b. or baptized Dec. 25, 1885, near Jericho
Beach; d. Sept. 9, 1972, North Vancouver. Hereditary Squamish chief
and teacher of Indian history and language. Son of Jericho Charlie
and half-brother of August Jack Khatsahlano. Renowned for his weather
predictions, he was often consulted by the newspapers. To promote
Salish language studies, Dominic and August Jack collected their
stories and legends and allowed them to be transcribed and printed
as Squamish Legends ... the First People. At 85, enroled in a Grade
One class to learn to read and write in English.
Jericho Charlie (Chin-nal-set) Squamish freighter
in the late 1880s he canoed camp supplies, including hay and oats
for horses and oxen, to Jerry Rogers's logging camp on Point Grey
peninsula. His canoe, Houmiltichesen, was purchased from August
Jack Khatsahlano, his stepson, by the B.C. Loggers' Association
and the Consolidated Red Cedar Shingle Association of B.C., c. 1943.
The two associations presented it to the City of Vancouver in March
Nan (Anna Gertrude Lawson) Cheney Portrait
painter, UBC medical artist b. June 22, 1897, Windsor, NS; d. Nov.
3, 1985, Vancouver. A well-known B.C. portrait painter as well as
the first UBC medical artist, she met and corresponded with many
Canadian artists. Nan enjoyed a close relationship with Emily Carr
in the period before Carr's work gained general acceptance. She
collected material about Emily Carr until December 1979. Biblio:
Dear Nan, Letters of Emily Carr, Nan Cheney and Humphrey Toms edited
by Doreen Walker.
Harry Lin Chin (aka Chin Chuck Lin) Florist,
community leader b. Oct. 28, 1905, Foo Chung, China; d. April 1,
1995, Vancouver. Worked for his grandfather in a Denman St. grocery,
then founded Keefer Wholesale Florist in the 1930s. Supported a
Union St. home for bachelors from Foo Chung and paid for their Forest
Lawn burial plots. A founder of the Chinese Cultural Centre, Golden
Age Court Seniors Home, Harry Lin Chin Charitable Foundation and
others. Endowed UBC's Asian Centre library with important books
from China. Received City of Vancouver Distinguished Pioneer Award,
Chinese Benevolent Association Award and others. Kept detailed records
of 29 Chin generations (700 years) with additional records going
back 2,000 years. Biblio: History of the Struggles of an Overseas
Chinese; Chin Family Tree.
Chung Chuck Potato farmer b. c. 1898, China;
d. Dec. 8, 1986, Ladner, B.C. Came to Vancouver at 13 and farmed
with his father. Worked as CPR laborer, then farmed near Ladner's
Delta Dike. In 1927 the B.C. government introduced laws regulating
the marketing of tree fruits and vegetables. In 1934, to control
Chinese farmers, the B.C. Coast Vegetable Marketing Board began
a crack down. With Ladner farmer Mah Lai, Chung appealed to the
Supreme Court. In January 1937, the Privy Council ruled the laws
invalid. White farmers protested "unfair Chinese competition"
and blocked Vancouver bridges. Chung attempted to cross, later charging
seven men with assault. "He believed if he fought for his rights
under the law, he would eventually win. And boy, did he fight."
John Arthur Clark Lawyer, brigadier general
b. June 8, 1886, Dundas, Ont.; d. Jan. 18, 1976, Vancouver. Graduated
from U. of T (BA, 1906; Bachelor of Law, 1909; Osgoode Hall, 1909).
Joined 77th Regiment of Volunteers in Dundas (1903-09). In 1910,
appointed captain of Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. In 1911, came
to Vancouver. Opened law firm of Lennie & Clark (1911-29). During
WWI, commanded Vancouver's 72nd Battalion; then 7th Canadian Infantry
Brigade, fighting at all major battles. Wounded once; awarded CMG,
DSO with two bars. PC MP, Vancouver-Burrard (1921-26). LL.D (UBC,
Ernest Albert Cleveland Water engineer b.
May 12, 1874, Alma, New Brunswick, d. Jan. 8, 1952, North Vancouver.
Came to Vancouver in 1890; worked as a federal surveyor (1896).
After graduation from U. of Washington, DC, in 1904, worked as an
engineer. In 1910 opened the large engineering and surveying firm
of Cleveland and Cameron. Appointed first chief commissioner of
the Great Vancouver Water District (1926-52). His work was considered
so important that when it came to retirement in 1940, special legislation
was passed allowing him to continue on the job. LL.D (UBC, 1936).
The Cleveland Dam on the Capilano River is named for him.
Jack (John Valentine) Clyne Supreme Court
judge b. Feb. 14, 1902, Vancouver; d. Aug. 22, 1989, Vancouver.
Worked summers as cowboy, sawmill laborer, deckhand and placer gold
miner. Entered UBC (1919). After graduation (1923), studied marine
law at London School of Economics. Called to B.C. bar, . 8, 1927;
practicing in Prince Rupert. Appointed to B.C. Supreme Court (1950).
In 1957, named a director of MacMillan Bloedel; later chairman and
CEO until retirement (1973). Leading role in three Royal commissions
and creation of Canadian Institute for Advanced Legal Studies. Knighted
(Order of St. John, 1959); Companion of Order of Canada (1972).
Elected to UBC senate (1951-60); UBC chancellor. LL.D (UBC, 1984).
Established J.V. Clyne Lecture Program.
Samuel Joseph Cohen Army & Navy founder
b. Oct. 12, 1897, San Francisco, Calif.; d. Dec. 21, 1966, Vancouver.
At 19, acquired his first stock by buying out a men's clothing store
in Kamloops. Founded Army & Navy as a surplus store at 300 block
W. Hastings (1919) with father Jacob Solomon Cohen and brothers
Joseph and Henry, eventually owning five stores. Shunned the limelight,
telling a reporter, "If I want any advertising, I'll pay for
it." A&N was cash only, offering "no credit cards,
deliveries or fancy store fixtures." His motto was "Get
the goods soldthere's always more to follow." An avid
fisherman. A generous philanthropist, especially to children's charities.
Henry Collins Mayor of Vancouver, 1895-96
See Mayors of Vancouver.
Edward Beaton Cook Pioneer contractor b. 1853,
Blanchard Township, St. Mary's, Ont.; d. May 2, 1940, Vancouver.
Father John Cook emigrated from Aberdeen, Scotland. Married (1882)
in Chatham, Ont. The Cooks moved to Newdale, Man., where he was
the first merchant and postmaster. After the CPR road west of the
Red River opened, moved to Victoria (July 1885). In March 1886,
moved to Gastown (later Vancouver). Erected Bank of B.C., city's
first bank (Hastings and Richards) and Imperial Building (Seymour
and Hastings). Built Douglas Lodge (Granville and 12th), one of
the city's first larger apartments and the original Christ Church.
Fred Cope Mayor of Vancouver, 1892-93 See
Mayors of Vancouver.
Gordon Edward Corbould Landowner b. Nov. 2,
1848, Toronto, Ont.; d. Aug. 14, 1926, New Westminster. Called to
the B.C. bar in 1882, he became one of the largest landowners in
Vancouver. In 1884, entered partnership with Agnus John McColl,
later Corbould, McColl & Jenns. Other partnerships led to Corbould,
McColl, Wilson & Campbell; Corbould, McColl & Forin; and
Corbould, Grand & McColl. MP, New Westminster district (1890-91).
Member of the Church of England, Freemasons, Westminster Club. Member,
Law Society of B.C., and also its treasurer.
Jonathan W. Cornett Mayor of Vancouver, 1941-46
See Mayors of Vancouver.
George Henry Cowan Author, public speaker
b. 1858, Watford, Canada West; d. Sept. 20, 1935, Vancouver. Arrived
in Vancouver in 1893. Formed Cowan and Shaw, later C. Kappele &
McEvoy law firms. Appointed Queen's Counsel (Dominion Government,
1896); King's Counsel (B.C. government, 1905). Anti-Asiatic, he
drafted the Chinese Head Tax law. Author of Better Terms for British
Columbians (1904). Founder, Vancouver's Conservative Association.
Solicitor for City and municipalities (1907-10). MP for Vancouver,
1908-11, when he chose not to seek re-election. Bought 1,000 acres
of land on Bowen Island (Point Cowan), built cottages for visitors
and ran a 12-acre farm raising purebred Ayrshires.
John Sedgwick Cowper Newspaper editor, publisher
b. 1876, Liverpool, Eng.; d. July 10, 1947, Reid Island, B.C. Began
his career in 1906 on staff of Toronto Globe; later editor, Vancouver
World. Established weekly Vancouver Tribune. Faced a libel suit
over his coverage of the Janet Smith case. First president of Canadian
Fabian Society. Brother Ernest Cowper, news editor of the Province
(d. January 1939, Vancouver), survived the Lusitania sinking.
Alice Frances Crakanthorp (née Patterson)
Pioneer student b. Feb. 26, 1864, Alberni, B.C.; d. Oct. 9, 1961,
Haney, B.C. First white girl born in Alberni area. Moved to Hastings
Mill shanty town with parents at age 9. Last surviving student of
the first class at the mill school, located at what is now the foot
of Dunlevy Street. Her mother, Emily Susan Patterson, first nurse
of Burrard Inlet, was "the heroine of Moodyville" for
her part in caring for some of the Gastown refugees after the Great
Fire of June 13, 1886 destroyed Vancouver. Alice's dancing slippers,
worn to the opening ball of the first Hotel Vancouver, were donated
to Vancouver City Archives.
William Marr Crawford Master mariner b. 1883,
Limekilns, Fife, Scotland; d. May 20, 1942, Vancouver. Apprenticed
on sailing ships, entering steam in 1904. Came to Canada in 1911.
Joined Empire Stevedoring, B.C.'s largest waterfront employer, as
manager. In 1923, named president and managing director. Launched
The Fyfer, "the finest private yacht on the Pacific" (1930).
In 1941, donated it to Canadian Navy for war use. Sponsored Crawford
Pipe Band which piped the Duke of Sutherland to his yacht, Sans
Peur, in Victoria Harbor on Aug. 5, 1939, the opening of the 53rd
Annual Caledonian Games. In WWI, Captain Crawford served as marine
master to ministry of shipping without pay; served in the same role
in a civilian capacity in WWII.
Robert James Cromie Vancouver Sun founder
b. July 4, 1887, Scotstown, Que.; d. May 11, 1936, Victoria. Worked
as a bellhop in Winnipeg's Mariaggi Hotel where he met General J.W.
Stewart. Hired in 1906 by Stewart to join the Vancouver firm of
Foley, Welch and Stewart. Bought debt-ridden Sun, with little money
and no experience, and absorbed the News-Advertiser (1917). Also
purchased the World (1924) and News-Herald (later sold to Thomson
chain). Fought for equalization of grain rates in the west; won
in 1925. Died suddenly and sons Donald, Peter and Samuel took over.
Donald Cameron Cromie (b. Oct. 16, 1915, Vancouver) sold Sun to
the Sifton family's FP Publications in 1963, leaving Vancouver with
no locally owned newspaper.
Samuel Patrick Cromie Newspaper publisher
b. Jan. 25, 1918, Vancouver; d. Feb. 16, 1957, Vancouver. "One
of Canada's best-known newspaper men." Third son of Robert
James Cromie (see bio). Worked his way up from circulation department
and pressman. Joined RCAF in February 1942. Returned to Vancouver
Sun as mechanical superintendent (Nov. 1, 1945) and was soon made
vice president. In 1946, at 28, elected youngest alderman (Non-Partisan
Association) and youngest acting mayor in Vancouver history (to
the time of his death). Vice president/assistant publisher of Sun
Publishing (1955). Drowned in a boating accident at Halfmoon Bay,
north of Vancouver.
Sanford Johnston Crowe Contractor b. Feb.
14, 1868, Truro, NS; d. Aug. 23, 1931, Vancouver. Moved to Vancouver
in 1888 and became a contractor (Crow and Wilson, 1890). Retired
in 1909; elected alderman (1909-15). Vice president, Vancouver Exhibition
Association. Elected second Vancouver MP in 1917, joining Vancouver's
sole MP, H.H. Stevens (see bio). Owned significant real estate.
Appointed senator (1921).
Everett Crowley Avalon Dairy founder b. June
3, 1909, Vancouver; d. Nov. 25, 1984, Vancouver. Family of 12 came
from Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula in 1906. Their South Vancouver
farm delivered milk by dog and wagon, and registered Avalon Dairy
before 1915. Ev graduated from South Vancouver HS; after the 1929
crash, too poor to go to university, he returned to the dairy. During
WWII, opposed poll tax on non-property owners; served three days
in jail. Elected Vancouver alderman but after six weeks a recount
gave opponent Arthur Phillips a 37-vote lead. Later served on parks
board (1961-67). Launched Collingwood Pioneers Reunion. Ev Crowley
Park on S.E. Marine Dr. is named for him (1985). Lee Crowley, his
youngest son, now runs Avalon Dairy.
Won Alexander Cumyow Court interpreter b.
March 27, 1861, Fort Douglas on Harrison Lake; d. Oct. 6, 1955,
Vancouver. First Chinese-Canadian born in Canada. Moved to New Westminster
as a boy and attended same school as future B.C. premier, Richard
McBride. Studied law. Appointed court interpreter (1888); official
Vancouver City Police court interpreter (1904-36). Spoke several
Chinese dialects, also Chinook. A community leader with the Chinese
Empire Reform Association and other groups. President of the Chinese
Benevolent Society. Cast his first vote in 1890. Saw the vote taken
away but lived to see it returned to Chinese people in 1947.
George Torrance Cunningham Druggist b. 1889,
North Dakota; d. March 7, 1965, Palm Springs, Calif. Born on ox
cart trail, arriving in 1891 in New Westminster. In 1904, hired
as apprentice druggist at Woodward's; later worked at William M.
Harrison's "classy" drug store/post office. Graduated
from Ontario College of Pharmacy (1909); studied in New York and
Chicago. At 21, in February 1911, opened "No. 1" Cunningham
Drug Store (Denman and Nelson), a community drugstore. Bought Vancouver
Drug Store (September 1939), increasing chain from 12 to 35 stores.
Named Man of the Year (1948) by Independent Retail Drug Association.
Elected alderman (1955-57) with most votes of any candidate. Chair,
UBC Board of Governors. LL.D (UBC, 1965).
Jimmy (James) Cunningham Stonemason b. 1878,
Isle of Bute, Scotland; d. Sept. 29, 1963, Vancouver. Came from
Scotland in 1910, then served in WWI with Canadian Expeditionary
Force. Worked extensively as a stonemason, including UBC, Vancouver
homes, pools at Lumberman's Arch, 2nd and Kitsilano beaches, Empress
and Banff Springs hotels. In 1917, began building Stanley Park seawall.
In 1931, named master stonemason for Vancouver Parks Board to secure
Stanley Park's shores. Began at Brockton, supervising the building
of the lighthouse and seawall around the point. Retired in 1955
but supervised the wall until his death, completing three miles.
The remaining 1.5 miles in the Siwash Rock area were completed in
1980. Plaque at Siwash Rock erected in his memory. His ashes are
in an unmarked spot in the seawall.
Back to the Top